• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clicking from rear

Upland

Country flag
I have a new clicking sound from left rear it increases with speed and stops when I apply light brake pressure, and starts up as soon as I release the brake pressure. It keeps pace with speed and is a clear, metalic click. I have new rear drums, pads and cylinders, and have pulled both drums and all seems well. Are we talking about wheel bearings, and if so how do I proceed.
Thanks for any suggestions.
UPLAND

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
sounds more like something is touching every rotation - seems like something connected to the brake shoe or the shoes themselves. A bearing wouldn't click and it would keep making a noise even if the brakes were applied.

Is it possible to see if something is suddenly shiny?

Jack it up and rotate the rear wheel and listen if it is still there. If it is take off the wheel and see if it is still there, then rotate the hub and see and finally take of the hub. should help with diagnosis.

good luck!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Check and make sure your drums aren’t rubbing their edges. Rotating slowly with rear brakes adjusted correctly make sure the drum is not rubbing an edge. If so a light touch with an angle grinder on the outer edge will fix. Yes it could be a wheel bearing Timken 207FF Sealed Bearings that fit a Subaru we’re a direct replacement that dropped in to my BE.

another thougt, with car up on jackstands and properly blocked up, have someone bring the car up to speed and double check you don’t have a bad tire that is vibrating out of round etc. could just be a tire issue.

OP
Upland

Upland

Country flag
Well, jacked up the back, spun the tires, removed the drums, spun the axle. No rub spots, could not duplicate the clicking. Took it out for a spin, applied the ebrake, clicking continued, tapped the brake pedal clicking stopped, brake off, clicking back. Coasting in neutral, clicking continued. Jacked up front, spun wheels, removed wheels spun hubs. Could not reproduce clicking. No rub spots.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
could it be something around the clevis pin on the brake pedal? They have a habit of the hole becoming an oval? could there be something rattling there?

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Minilites balance weight on rim unless glue on rim were used. How about something next to drive line. Madflyer

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I've got JBW 8 Spoke wheels on my BE but inside rim is real close to the Rear Spring. Is there a mark on the inside of the rim from contacting the Spring.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I had a bad universal in TR 6 half shaft one side. only made noise at slowing down rest of the time was in a load. Braking may be doing the same thing. Madflyer

OP
Upland

Upland

Country flag
I'll check the u joint, but even the slightest pressure on the front brakes stops it. Pressure on the rear brakes through the ebrake does nothing.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So that might point back to the front brakes, check caliper bolts, pad rattling or not retracting and it's rubbing on the rotor, warped rotor, worn pads and you are hearing the warning tickler.