• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Rookie mistake,

Country flag
So, what I’ve learned so far, is that before lifting the car off the ground, FIRST, remove the front suspension snubbers. Speaking with Yoda John, he told me this AFTER, I had the car on jack stands with the wheels removed.
He told me, once the weight is off the suspension you will not be able to get to the lower shock mounts to remove the shocks. With the shocks installed you can’t remove the coil springs to begin your front suspension work.
This became obvious ONLY when I tried to compress the springs with a pry bar for leverage, the front of the frame would lift up off the jack stand. After a lot of head scratching I came up with a plan. A bit of weight provided by my F150 and the application of the pry bar, I was then able to compress the springs enough to get to the snubber AND shock bolts off. Now the pieces of the CUT UP shock came tumbling out to lower control arm hole.
Now I’m in the market for a coil spring compressor so I can remove the springs. Harbor Freight, here I come.
I’d like to thank John for his suggestions to cut out the shock, and his guidance in this endeavor!
Here are a few pictures for your amusement.

Sweating it out in TX, Joe
9087894E-353C-4273-A46E-640ED31CF15C.jpeg53F17DBC-DF64-4769-BA2C-4B17C2F1D3F7.jpeg84E3EC89-9D6C-495B-8B47-2C18189629FD.jpeg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had the opposite problem. Fitting the snubbers on the front suspension with no body or engine for weight to compress against. Do not remember exactly how I did it but it was a battle.

David

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If you find a commercial spring compressor that fits a TR, please let us know. I've never found one.

I've used a length of 1/2" threaded rod with plates on either end. It fits into the spring where the shock once was. Cheap and effective.

By the way, that problem--where you need weight on the suspension either to install or remove parts--is pretty common in all kinds of cars.

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I too made the same rookie mistake but I removed my engine and transmission. John also help me recommending replace motor and transmission. Wise decision. Easier and safer than fighting the coil spring. I made my spring compressor from all thread and plates. Added handles to nut similar to Churchill tool. Frank

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Back in the day I bought a spring compressor from TRF. Went out to get a part number but the bugs ate the label. ISTR they offered a TR3 and a TR6 version, don’t know if it is still offered.F22CDA0C-DE26-4940-ACDA-88AC5CDDB995.jpg

Looks like it is still offered, RFT102. I have yet to use mine so can’t say how effective it is.

Last edited:

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I would not buy the HF compressor. I had one and used it once. I then threw it away. It’s dangerous.

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Thanks for all the input on this guys. I did this job on a Ford Galaxie several years back and it was then that I realized how dangerous a compressed coil spring can be. In fact there is a YouTube video of a coil spring cutting loose from a auto repair shop. It sounds like a bullet shooting across the street, would definitely kill if you got in the way.
With that my friend, John is bringing his spring compressor over tomorrow, “NOT a Harbor Freight tool”, and I hope to remove the spring with little to no threat.

Moving on, Has anyone done the Toyota 5 speed transmission transplant to a TR-3A
I’m considering it and I have a good lead on a donor W55 transmission.
This is getting a fer bit out ahead of this project, but was just looking for intel from those who have done this before.
Thanks Y’all.
Joe in TX

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Moving on, Has anyone done the Toyota 5 speed transmission transplant to a TR-3A
I’m considering it and I have a good lead on a donor W55 transmission.

Joe in TX

I’ve always thought it is a W58 Supra/Celica gearbox you are looking for?

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Yes, you are correct. I just looked at MossMotors conversion kit, it does specify W58.
The donor car is a 1985 Celica with 170K on it that does have a W58 installed.
I have not had a close look at it yet, so I’m not sure of the condition of the trans but was just looking for intel on the possibility of doing this.
Thanks for the clarification.

Attachments

• D552E603-7CAF-43A3-B208-18F0FCFEEDC8.jpeg
    D552E603-7CAF-43A3-B208-18F0FCFEEDC8.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 74

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Back in the day I bought a spring compressor from TRF. Went out to get a part number but the bugs ate the label. ISTR they offered a TR3 and a TR6 version, don’t know if it is still offered.View attachment 64406

Looks like it is still offered, RFT102. I have yet to use mine so can’t say how effective it is.

I haven't used the Roadster's RFT102 but have used the RFT103 on multiple TR4A/250/6 cars. Easy to use, very safe and effective if a bit tedious just from having to run the nut up the threaded rod to compress the spring for installation or to let the spring relax for removal. These tools are available three ways from them:

RFT102 for TR2 through TR4 ~$70

RFT103 for TR4A through TR6 ~$70

RFT104 has plates from both the RFT102 and RFT103 to cover the range from TR2 to TR6 but only one threaded rod ~$90

I would run from whatever they have Harbor Freight and the like, they don't really fit these cars well (the voice of bad experience having bought a set many years ago and trying to use them) and then once I saw how things were looking, I quickly put some fasteners back at the spring pan/lower arm connection points. The thought of all the pent up energy in that spring coming at out at some unknown angle scared me silly. There's not much upside and plenty of potential injury inducing downside when fiddling with suspension springs and ill fitting, unsafe tools.

BTW, since you're in Keller, have you hooked up with Red River Triumph Club? If not, you should consider it. There's probably someone in the club that has one of the spring compressors and just might even be willing to come over and help another club member. Joining up was probably the best thing I did on buying my TR6 when we lived in Fort Worth.

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had the same problem as David, getting the shockie back in without the body on the chassis. I used a good concrete bolt in the shed floor, chained the chassis to it and jacked up the suspension one side at a time, a bit ugly but got it done.

Graham

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Good info, Thanks guys!
While I am a tool junkie, and would love to OWN my own spring compressor, I’m not planning on making this mistake again, there’s plenty of NEW mistakes to make still. ��
I should have a “loaner” compressor here this evening to complete this part of the dismantling.

Tybalt, I have see the Red River Triumph Club license plate brackets around town, I”ll give them looking into.

Well it’s another scorcher in North Texas today, 96* with a heat index of 200*, at least it feels that way, dripping hot!! If yer not done by mid morning, it’s gonna have to wait.
I was able to have my son help me haul the Transmission and read differential to the quarter wash for a good hosing off before the heat really kicked in, so there was some progress.
that is all.

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
C2316D82-C4BF-42F5-A90B-3F755135D6E5.jpeg02923006-0E4A-42BA-A23F-5ACAB075F169.jpegF13AA64B-E065-4370-B541-8EEE2D58C1AD.jpeg158C31F6-608A-4FDE-A51B-5DC491F77247.jpeg

So I’m still having issues with sideways pictures, sorry for the stiff neck.
John loaned me his spring compressor and it worked great. Unfortunately there were no manufacturing markings, other than “Made in USA”, so we know it’s NOT from Harbor Freight.