• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Yet Another New Guy

90dog

Country flag
Hello,
Many years ago while visiting my dad he took me to see a BJ8 he was considering buying. I was shocked. It was a forlorn heap in the back of a body shop lot, and I remember thinking "Well, there goes my inheritance". He did buy it and spent a few years nursing it back to health. A couple of years before he passed he gave it to me, and I've picked up where he left off. It's a nice driver now, but I'm continuing to find things that need attention (like that one stripped bolt on the left front shock plate) and a site like this is an invaluable resource. My background is Brit bikes (Triumphs and Nortons) so there is a bit of a learning curve here, but hey, Lucas is still Lucas. Having so many members who have encountered the same problems I'm seeing for the first time is most helpful.
And thinking on it, I got an even better inheritance than I'd expected.
Dean

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Dean

So you did get your inheritance.
There is almost always something that needs attention on these old cars.
You will find that the AH section is a great area to get tips and advice for your BJ8.

I had 2 British bikes way back in the 1960s. An Ariel Colt then a Matchless 500 single.

Post some photos of your BJ8.

David

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
And if you decide that you need to replace the shock tower base, I built a jig to position it in place so it lines up with the other side.
Jerry

OP
90dog

90dog

Country flag
Hello Dean

So you did get your inheritance.
There is almost always something that needs attention on these old cars.
You will find that the AH section is a great area to get tips and advice for your BJ8.

I had 2 British bikes way back in the 1960s. An Ariel Colt then a Matchless 500 single.

Post some photos of your BJ8.

David

Hello David,
An Ariel and a Matchless - nice. I remind myself that I like a motorcycle (or car) that needs me.

ABCD 2008 003 - Copy.jpg

OP
90dog

90dog

Country flag
And if you decide that you need to replace the shock tower base, I built a jig to position it in place so it lines up with the other side.
Jerry

Hi Jerry,
Thanks. I've spent some time going over previous posts regarding the issue. Fortunately I've only found one of the eight stripped out, so I'm going to try a couple of the simpler options first. I appreciate the info though and will keep it in mind.
db