• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New 'side project'

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've an old Craftsman toolbox, first one I'd bought fifty years ago. Beat up from being hauled around in all the LBC's and Alfas we've had, as the 'traveling kit'. I've repaired it once, painted it partially with black wrinkle finish, leaving the top lid & the two drawers original as I'd wanted to retain the various stickers and labels on there. Recently pulled it out and found some chemical had leaked from a shelf it was under and the decals were FUBAR'd. Found replacements on the 'net and that started a 'restoration' idea. Well, the "might-as-wells" go from there. sanded the outside of the lid down with a die grinder and 3M Scotch Lock pads, sprayed primer on it. The dents bothered me, as I'd planned to replace the decals and it'd be a shame to leave the "dibishes" as they were. Now in process of sanding and filling with Dolphin Glaze, realizing my OCD has kicked in!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Reminds me of life after my first layoff, back around 1973.

I knew I had way too much time on my hands, when I found myself dusting and waxing the water heater.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
About a year after I retired, I told the wife I'm thinking of going back to work, just so I can get a rest! :encouragement: I never thought being retired would be so tiresome. :devilgrin: The honey do list used to be half a dozen items, now, it automatically re-charges it's self! :highly_amused:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We need photos Doc.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The underside of the lid and the reason it will remain untouched. Some irreplaceable decals and a lot of personal history there. The top will finish in a yet-to-be chosen color, along with sides and drawers. Suggestions?

underlid.JPG
boxlid1.JPG

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
How times have changed. Note the "Cameras will film any holdup". Young'ns of today ask "what's a camera? what's film?" "what's a holdup?".

Of course their tool boxes are completely different - mostly 0's and 1's.

T.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The underside of the lid and the reason it will remain untouched. Some irreplaceable decals and a lot of personal history there. The top will finish in a yet-to-be chosen color, along with sides and drawers. Suggestions?
View attachment 64381

Lotus green and yellow, of course!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great minds an' all that. Was just plotting how wide to do the yellow stripe!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:grin:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Lid in final primer, drawers removed. Got a bonus! Four pennies and a hex nut from a Porsche C.I.S. system in the case underneath the drawers. Now the project is on hold while I configure a client's laptop.

"Business would be great if it weren't for all the durn'd customers!" :wink:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
With the paint finished and decals renewed:

newbox1.JPG

And forgot to mention, it sets on an early WorkMate!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh wow.... Stupendous! Great job.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Doc,
Just let me know where to start sending all my boxes to and I'll get the smaller ones to you first. No rush. One a week should do it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks Great!

I hope this fits in the boot
What made you chose that colour?
Are you a millionaire?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gliderman8 said:
Oh wow.... Stupendous! Great job.
Thanks, Elliot. It took longer than I expected and still have the hardware to deal with. May try my hand at Banjo Ben's plating method.

Doc,
Just let me know where to start sending all my boxes to and I'll get the smaller ones to you first. No rush. One a week should do it.

:lol:

Sorry, sir. Once this one's finished, I'm back to plotting the Elan resurrection. This was just a warm-up exercise. You'll have to find some other Foole to do yours. :apologetic:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks Great!

I hope this fits in the boot
What made you chose that colour?
Are you a millionaire?

Nice, JP.

It ~just~ fits
Brer Mickey convinced me!
With two Elans to rebuild there's no way!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I see a whole lot of rock auto sticker magnets in those picsļ˜

Mostly as a consequence of fixing other peoples' cars. Have used 'em for Toyota stuff for Mitsy's car, too. Great parts source for most contemporary vehicles.

Oh... and I did get most of the steering/suspension replacement bits for the diesel Benz from 'em.