• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Keep or Lose the Spare?

Martin Secrest

Just curious. I run my TR6 mostly around town and have never actually had a flat tire in 20 years. Thinking about taking the spare tire out of the trunk to save weight, but I wonder if I would wish I had it in the car if I were rear-ended in an accident. What's our collective wisdom on this, if we have such wisdom?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have a space saver spare in my TR6. It’s from a Accura. It has the identical bolt pattern as the TR6. It weighs less and takes up less room. Got it in a salvage yard for $20.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeah, a more modern space saver is the way to go I think. At least a little more piece of mind...and you still save a ton of space.

Cheers
Tush

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
There are lots of space savers with the correct bolt pattern, you also have to take into account the offset. Mine, from a Honda as well, I think Saab from the 90s will fit too, would not clear the front discs, except I already have a small spacer on for clearance with my wider wheels.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There are lots of space savers with the correct bolt pattern, you also have to take into account the offset. Mine, from a Honda as well, I think Saab from the 90s will fit too, would not clear the front discs, except I already have a small spacer on for clearance with my wider wheels.
I think you are correct... my space saver fits fine on the rear but needs a spacer up front. If I happen to get a flat in the front I will move one from the rear to the front then mount the space saver on the rear to get me home.

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I keep some fix-a-flat and an small air pump in the trunk (boot). Used it once in 20 years to make it home from a nail bite. Wire wheels here, so maintaining a reliable spare in the trunk can easily be forgotten for years and not good when needed.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
You're tempting the Law of Innate Perversity of Everyday Life. It holds, in part, that if you have a spare, you'll never need it and it will seem like a waste. But the one day you leave home without it, you'll tear up a tire by running over a dead porcupine. You should realize that the spare is the thing that has prevented you from getting flats these last many years.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What does a full size spare weigh approximately? 50#?
I’m guessing that’s a pretty good approximate. Tire is about 20-23 lbs plus steel wheel should be close to 40- 50 lbs.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
All good words from guys that have been around the block. A word I bought a snow shovel before winter a few years ago and have only used it maybe three time ( Nevada). As for the spare I have 16 inch wheels on my TR 6 and as not to damage a wheel I could not replace I have five and with non direction tread can go either side of the car. I rotate all five ounce a year. And you right a lot of money just to go flat and or rot un used. any call is right. Madflyer

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was wondering too, so I got out the scale. Full size TR6 steel spare (w/old Michelin Redline) is 40lbs, and the '97 Honda Accord space saver spare is 20. Bada boom.
So, did you decided to put the space saver tire in your TR6?

OP
M

Martin Secrest

I did. The Honda tire fits well on the rear, but rubs on the front, so if I get a front flat, I'll have to swap two tires. But I'll be OK, lol. And there's a lot more room in the boot now, that's for sure.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I did. The Honda tire fits well on the rear, but rubs on the front, so if I get a front flat, I'll have to swap two tires. But I'll be OK, lol. And there's a lot more room in the boot now, that's for sure.
Yes, you are correct about the tire rubbing in the front. You can buy a wheel spacer for the front if you want. Like you, I will just swap two tires if I get a flat in the front. The additional room in the boot is an added plus.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I just removed the spacers that hold the spare cover up higher on my 250 since I have the space saver. Just drilled out the rivets. I then put some felt on the bottom of the cover so it won't scratch the paint. Had something I wanted to fit in the trunk and it didn't fit. Now it does, I can put the risers back on for originality if needed.