• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Points assembly order of washers

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I bought some points and condensers from Distributor Doctor. Rather than having two "hats", they have a single hat and two fiber washers. The larger one almost fitted over the stud base; enlarging the hole slightly did the trick. The smaller one fits over the stud itself and functions as the other hat would, keeping the spring away from the grounded stud.

I can't see any need for the larger washer. In my pic it could be as easily left off. Anyone know differently?

screenshot.2268.jpg
screenshot.2269.jpg

Duh - answered my own question - the larger washer goes under the rubbing block on its post.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Steveg,

I am not savvy when it comes to electrical, but I recorded what I presently have as a points setup when I purchased my current Healey just over 7 years ago.

I always refer to my drawing when I change my points or perform a complete tune up. And I am only using my setup since it hasn't done me wrong before, so, I don't bother trying to be creative.

Not sure if I do have a secondary washer as you show. I'd be curious to know if what I show is, in fact, correct or appropriate. But, again, I never had any issues of any kind so don't fix what aint broke?

Paul

Attachments

• Healey points setup.jpg
    Healey points setup.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 112

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I left the bottom insulator off once on a Jag, took me a few hours to figure why it wouldn't start.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Steveg,

I am not savvy when it comes to electrical, but I recorded what I presently have as a points setup when I purchased my current Healey just over 7 years ago.

I always refer to my drawing when I change my points or perform a complete tune up. And I am only using my setup since it hasn't done me wrong before, so, I don't bother trying to be creative.

Not sure if I do have a secondary washer as you show. I'd be curious to know if what I show is, in fact, correct or appropriate. But, again, I never had any issues of any kind so don't fix what aint broke?

Paul

IT appears lik the required bottom insulator { WASHER } is there U just did not identify it on your drawing?

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I am in awe of being able to draw so well. My chickens can scratch better than i can draw.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keoke,

OK, I think you're right. I didn't identify that particular washer and below that, a "do-hicky" cylindrical piece I will now have to go back and identify again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Keoke,

OK, I think you're right. I didn't identify that particular washer and below that, a "do-hicky" cylindrical piece I will now have to go back and identify again.

I recons so coz with out it you would have been in the LARRY K crowd-LOL

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul, nice drawing. A man after my own heart! I was in Melbourne a few years go after attending the Phillip Island Historic races. I had to replace the points before heading home but in haste I assembled them incorrectly and I had no spark. Took a while to realise my error! I now carry a diagram showing the correct method. Every time I fiddle with the points I remind myself that I once fitted new points in the middle of the Nullabor Plain with a wind howling, uninterupted from Antarctica!
Cheers,
Alwyn

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The takeaway: the spring with moveable point is an electrical connection from the primary wire and condenser to the grounded point.

Therefore there must be no grounding before the current gets to the points.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pan,

Quite an experience to have that happen on the Nullabor Plain, from what I did a bit of research on. Were there any camels nearby watching over you during the repairs or possibly one be available to offer a ride in the event you couldn't be on your way?

Just curious.

Paul

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The takeaway: the spring with moveable point is an electrical connection from the primary wire and condenser to the grounded point.

Therefore there must be no grounding before the current gets to the points.

That's one "Point" well taken. Thank you for that!

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul,
I'm impressed that you took the trouble to look up where in the world the Nullabor Plain is! I was on my way home from Perth in Western Australia. From Perth to South East Queensland where I live is similar (I am told) to Los Angeles to Washington. Plenty of signs saying to look out for camels (as well as wombats, 'roos etc) but I never sighted a single one.
Cheers,
Alwyn

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paul,
I'm impressed that you took the trouble to look up where in the world the Nullabor Plain is! I was on my way home from Perth in Western Australia. From Perth to South East Queensland where I live is similar (I am told) to Los Angeles to Washington. Plenty of signs saying to look out for camels (as well as wombats, 'roos etc) but I never sighted a single one.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Ok Pan,

I'm equally impressed if not more how you managed to survive your ordeal on the Plain. Same goes for those camels...

...for the name of that region might escape me from time to time but learning how camels were abandoned after using them in the completion of the 'Railroad' there, (thinking they would just die off given the existing harsh soil conditions, etc.), only to thrive in numbers later...Well, those camels, with their survival skills...All I can say is, I'm quite impressed!