• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1967 MGB seats

Martec

Country flag
Hi
I am reupholstering the seats on my '67 MGB. Can anyne tell me the difference between the L/H and R/H seat frames.
Thanks

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry we disappointed you.

My only experience is with the later model B; otherwise I would've responded. But here's a suggestion: Did you try to "dry fit" them? I would imagine that, due to the shape of the transmission tunnel, if they are indeed handed, it would be obvious.

Good luck.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
On my Midget the seat back adjusters are handed - both point to the middle. Not sure if there are back adjusters on B's - similarly the location of the runners and the handle for adjusting the seat backwards and forwards.

I did however swap the seat bases as I reused them and the passenger seat base had less wear.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The back-and-forth adjusters & tracks are the only difference on the early cars. Those tracks with the "notches" go to the outsides of the seats, as do the adjustment mechanism attached to the seats. Changed a bit from the '68 and later cars as others have noted. The seat cushions are "handed" due to the driveshaft tunnel, the inner sides are a bit thinner.

One look at the Moss Motors illustrations would make it apparent.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
When you look at the bottom frames you will see where the tracks attach. Now look at the outer frame. One round tube will be parallel to the flat that the tracks attach to and the other is not. The parallel side goes toward the outside of the car. The backs are the same for both sides.

OP
M

Martec

Country flag
Ok Does anyone have photo's or know of a video that shows the steps to recovering the seats. I am a little confused as to what to do with the extra material supplies as there seems to be a lot of it.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Did you try a search on YouTube for videos? Lots there. And depending on where you got your kit, you should be able to access their instructions. Here are the instructions from Victoria British which may help:

http://www.victoriabritish.com/interiors/mg/

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes the you-tube covers it well and for a good fit press the foam firmly before installing clips for a smooth job. The DIAPHRAGM may be tight if you replace them I added to wires as not to pull to tight. Madflyer

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T MGB-GT cant rails on 1967 MGB GT MG 12
CJ Burton MGB-GT Installing Seat Covers for 1962 - 1967 MGB GT MG 0
mch979 1967 MGB GT bonnet issue MG 25
6 Seeking 1967 MGB roadster in good driving condition MG Classifieds 3
G MGB Sick 1967 MGB Engine MG 1
R MGB 1967 MGB Radiator leak MG 3
H MGB-GT Help with my 1967 MGB GT running very rough MG 5
R MGB Would this be a good value for a restored 1967 MGB MG 47
H MGB WTB Doors for 1967 MGB MG 10
vping T-Series 1967 MGB GT Clutch MG 3
B For Sale 1967 Metallic Golden Beige MKIII BJ8 Numbers Matching - The Real Deal Austin Healey Classifieds 0
AUSMHLY 1967 Mark III, Phase I through III and counting Austin Healey 38
tr6nitjulius For Sale 1967 Austin Healey Sprite Mark 111 Spridgets Classified 0
C Spitfire 1967 Triumph Spitfire Triumph 2
A Early 1967 AH Sprite - installing steering column and new directional switch? Spridgets 0
S For Sale Triumph TR5 Factory Parts Manual on CD/ROM - 1967 to 1968. Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Triumph TR5 Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM - 1967 - 1968 Models. Triumph Classifieds 0
S For Sale Aston Martin DBS V8 Factory Workshop Manual – 1967 - 1972 Models. Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale Sunbeam Tiger Factory Workshop Manuals – 260 and 289 Models - 1964 - 1967 Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale MGC Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM - 1967 - 1969 Models MG Classifieds 0
S For Sale Morris Minor Factory Workshop Manual om CD/ROM - All Models 1959 - 1967 Other British Classifieds 0
S For Sale Austin and Morris MINI Factory Workshop Manual on CD/ROM - All Models 1959 - 1967 Other British Classifieds 0
T 1967 BJ-8 Kick Panels Austin Healey 1
G For Sale 1967 bj8 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
longbridgehealey 1967 sprite earth? Spridgets 12
S New Member 1967 Austin Healey 3000 Austin Healey 5
H 1967[?] Austin FX4 London Taxi Other British Cars 3
D For Sale 1967 Austin Healey 3000 MKIII BJ8 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
jfarris For Sale 1967 TR4A IRS $19,000 Birmingham AL Triumph Classifieds 3
F For Sale Beautiful 1967 Triumph Bonneville T-120 Triumph Classifieds 1
Fortius For Sale AH 3000 MK III Phase II 1967 - Denis Welch Engine & Parts Austin Healey Classifieds 0
G rear wheel studs on my 1967 BJ8 Austin Healey 5
AH67 General TR 1967 Triumphm 2000 no ignition Triumph 5
AH67 General TR 1967 Triumphm 2000 Triumph 7
R Rewiring a 1967 3000 Austin Healey 17
M Overdrive In-Op AH BJ8 1967 Austin Healey 11
Editor_Reid Fuel Gauge for 1967 Sprite Spridgets 4
D Recommendation for new core in original 1967 Austin Healey radiator Austin Healey 5
Q Just Starting Restoration Of 1967 E Type Jaguar OTS Jaguar 13
M TR5/TR250 Where were you on this day in 1967? Triumph 19
Sopwith_Camel was this wire brown in 1967? Jaguar 5
D Need Some Advice on My 1967 BJ8 Austin Healey 8
Marvin Gruber 1967 BJ8 out of the barn Austin Healey 8
Rut TR4/4A 1967 commission number decoding Triumph 16
Rut TR4/4A WTB Original Triumph TR4, 5, 6 and Bentley workshop manual for 1967 TR4a Triumph 10
S 1967 3000 MK3 BJ8 Suspension is so stiff - any chance to improve comfort ? Austin Healey 10
D Another question 1967 BJ8 top installation,metal retaining strip Austin Healey 1
A 1967 BJ8 Coupe based upon the ACME advert Austin Healey 74
Stewart MGB-GT Next Project 1967 GT MG 139
sjuengst 1967 BJ8 on Austin Craigslist Austin Healey 2