• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

FNG here.

Country flag
Hello,
New guy here. I recently acquired a 1960 TR3. As rough as it looks my buddy tells me “that’s in good shape!”
If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will.
As for now I’m on my 4th bottle of PB Blaster and still snapping bolts!
I read some posts before joining, “patience, PB blaster and heat,” that seems to work pretty well.
My buddy turned me on to some good website for parts and advice.
I could use a link to a parts and service manuals if anyone has access to them.
Thanks for letting me into the fold, hopefully my knuckles stop bleeding soon!😏

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Busted Knuckles

Welcome to the forum

You would be supersized how bad some of these cars can look and how good they will turn out with time, work and money spent on them.

PB Blaster and heat usually works but sometimes you will have to break out the sawsall or cutting wheel.

I type TR3A into google and get a PDF of the parts book. There is a member here who maintains a cash of books but he seems to be out of action at the moment.
The Roadster Factory is a good source of Triumph parts.

David

Arriving home 2015
TR on trailer 2015.jpg
4 Years later
Drive your Triumph day. Indian Mounds Macon GA 2.jpg

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
WOW David!
Nice work turning a pile on a trailer into that beautiful car, WELL DONE!
Funny you should mention a sawzall and cut-off wheel, I used both of those ”loosening” tool yesterday.
I’m looking forward to the journey.
take care, Joe

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Hi John,
It was another day of disassembly yesterday.
I removed 40 pounds of South Dakota dirt from the left front fender, it’s AMAZING at well those mud retention flaps inside the fenders there work!!
THANKS for the links, I’ll check those out.
After seeing David’s BEFORE picture above, I’m feeling pretty good about this.
I’ll post pictures if I can figure it out.
take care, Joe

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to th' fold, Joe.

Do yourself a service and mix up some "Weasel Pi**" for loose-juice. A 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone. Shake well before application, soak and walk away for a few hours. Plenty of documentation on the efficacy of this cocktail on line, better than about every penetrant commercially made. One link here.

Another: Grassroots

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
Interesting marking found under 60 years of grease and dirt.
Other than the obvious, does this have any significance?
I just pulled the engine and trans as a unit from a 1960 TR3

0210E56D-0F2B-4A90-A440-F07D65C26C51.jpeg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've not seen markings like that from the factory making me wonder if the engine came from a wreckers or another shop?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It seems that Triumph put that marking on the engines. They supplied engines to a number of other car manufacturers. Morgan comes to mind.

If you repaint the block you should try to retain that TR3 logo.

David

OP
Busted knuckles
Country flag
David,
I do plan to preserve this piece of history.

John- Peter, my wife’s uncle bought this car new, right out of the army. He drove it all around the states for 20 years and then parked it in 1980.
She’s been sleeping in his shop since. He was always planning to refurbish but never got to it. He passed a couple of years ago.
My Aunt said “come get it”, and I did, promptly.
With that, she does have a good bit of curb rash from traveling days, but other than that, is all original.
However, I did think the same thing when I saw that red TR3 emerge from the grime.

more pics to come.

take care. Joe

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Remember to take lots of photos as you go to help you later as you rebuild. Print the photos and make notes to jog the memory. Also photos of an untouched car are always very useful to other restorers.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
David,
I do plan to preserve this piece of history.

John- Peter, my wife’s uncle bought this car new, right out of the army. He drove it all around the states for 20 years and then parked it in 1980.
She’s been sleeping in his shop since. He was always planning to refurbish but never got to it. He passed a couple of years ago.
My Aunt said “come get it”, and I did, promptly.
With that, she does have a good bit of curb rash from traveling days, but other than that, is all original.
However, I did think the same thing when I saw that red TR3 emerge from the grime.

more pics to come.

take care. Joe

I learn something new every day - thanks and looking forward to the project!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It seems that Triumph put that marking on the engines. They supplied engines to a number of other car manufacturers. Morgan comes to mind.

If you repaint the block you should try to retain that TR3 logo.

David

Yup - When I restored my TR3 (TS 16162L), I found the reddish-orange "TR3" painted on the right side of the block. Research found that in Bill Piggott's Original TR book, he referenced that. Check this link and scroll down the page next to the picture of the distributor: https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...QAQ#v=onepage&q=tr3 painted on engine&f=false

Mickey

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mickey,
Thanks for the link to that book! I need to get a copy of that.
I’m 2 weeks in on this journey with a lot of learning to do!
View attachment 64117

Great pic! Looks like you have the car in Hover Mode! Were you able to adapt a Mr. Fusion to the engine? :lol: