• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re: Not So "New" Member.

Chas B.

Freshman Member

I started on Basil's "British Car Forum" pert near when Basil started the British Car Forum..
There was a LOT of stuff going on, several "British Car Forums" were on the 'net at the time, including the old, original "Jag-Lovers" list forums.. (I started on that forum back in '99, as well).
I own a 1953 Jaguar XK120 DHC.. I bought it in May 1967, it was not only my daily driver, but I had fitted a trailer hitch on the Jag and used it to tow my motorcycles to the races. I turned Pro (AMA Class C) beginning in 1970 so I bought a new Datsun 510 Station Wagon to haul the bikes, tools, etc. to "Flat-Track", "TT Scrambles" and "GP Roadraces in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Missouri.
In June 1973 I suffered what is interestingly called a "Career Ending Injury".. I crushed C-4 and fractured C-5.. in short, I broke my neck!!
In 1975, I decided to paint my XK120.. three weeks later I had a bare body sitting on the ground and a bare chassis sitting next to it!! I spent the next forty-plus years "buying parts" (98% NOS) for my '53 Jag and have finally started refitting parts onto the chassis..
My "original plan" of restoration was to replace, repair, repaint or replate EACH part of the Jaguar THEN begin the reassembly process.. That didn't work-out so well.. I would restore, etc. a few parts, but realized that some of these parts needed replacing, instead.. thus began a multi-year period of "Identifying and Inventorying" every part, nut, bolt and screw used on the entire XK120! I'm here to tell you, the Jaguar XK120 has MORE fasteners than does a 1965 Mustang OR a 1957 Chevy BelAire!! (I've restored both!). Eventually I finished the inventory, replaced "most" of the necessary parts and pieces and am finally refitting parts onto the restored chassis..
In 2018 I totally rebuilt BOTH the XK Engine and JL Gearbox and fitted them to the chassis.
"Old Age" reared it's head and I got a new $58,000 Titanium left knee installed on February 4th, 2020. So, three months of "Physical Torture" before I could walk again!!
I'm currently "involved" in (trying to) rebuild the Girling Lever Shocks and rebuilding/restoring the XK's Differential (right down to the original style Leather Axle Seals!!)
Other than that.....................
Charles.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag

Hello Charles

Great story ad a great cat to be working on. It sounds like it will be concourse when completed.
I had started looking to buy a 120 back in the 1960s but they were too much for my budget so I got a TR2 instead.

Post some photos of your progress.

David

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag

I always wanted an XK 120 but there was one problem - I couldn't see over the steering wheel.