• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ms. Triss is home!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Finally as the social distancing is starting to ease I got her out of storage - started right up and other than the crackle of 6 month old gas came home in fine form.

Much to do this year.

1. New Shocks
2. Wipers don't work
3. Signals don't work
4. Horn sort of works
5. Washer doesn't work.
6. Driving light used to work
7. Reinstall front bumper

you see where this is going, I will be socially distanced in the garage for quite some time! :grin:

Country flag
Hi, why reinstall front bumper?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hi, why reinstall front bumper?

well don't really need to but the holes are there and technically I need space for my front tag and if it is there I can reinstall the driving light (# 6 above) but most of all it will be one less thing leaning against the wall in the garage. :smile:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good to hear that Ms Triss is home. Sounds like you have a few projects to tidy things up. Our little cars do give us plenty to keep us occupied.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
JP and I'll bet most of those electrical related items will work once you clean off the Green from the Bullet Connectors in both sides. IT happened for me with Bugsy I my '68 Sprite. Not a single gauge, dial, or instrument worked from lack of use and everything under there was green. Took everything apart, Dremel Tool and cleaned. All worked after I got finished. Without needing to replace parts and pieces.

Country flag
Right after I posted why reinstall it i was out in the garage and there was the bugeye’s front bumper, laying in wait to trip me for the hundredth time!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP and I'll bet most of those electrical related items will work once you clean off the Green from the Bullet Connectors in both sides. IT happened for me with Bugsy I my '68 Sprite. Not a single gauge, dial, or instrument worked from lack of use and everything under there was green. Took everything apart, Dremel Tool and cleaned. All worked after I got finished. Without needing to replace parts and pieces.

I presume that is the case - now to get at it.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Right after I posted why reinstall it i was out in the garage and there was the bugeye’s front bumper, laying in wait to trip me for the hundredth time!

love it! :thumbsup:

nomad

Yoda
JP, another reason to own Brit cars....a "social distancing" excuse!;)

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP, another reason to own Brit cars....a "social distancing" excuse!;)

Indeed. So I decided that I would reinvigorate my restoration enthusiasm by doing this:

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/05/11/how-i-got-my-garage-projects-moving-30-minutes-at-a-time

30 minutes a day (ish) turns out it takes about 45 minutes to change a shock. Tonight was the last shock of all. No time for a test drive but it sure seems to sit better and bounce better. I also have concluded that even without the test drive that I probably was putting up with a much much cr*ppier ride than I should have been - assuming that is just how British Cars of that era were. I didn't even know that the two arms of the shock came apart.

Unfortunately tonight, as the last shock went together I realized the thread in the old arm was stripped. Fortunately some careful work with my tap and die set recovered the threads enough to reassemble. This added about 45 minutes to the job and when I was done, I was just tired enough that I took out the 2nd jackstand, and was just starting to take out the first and lower down the car when I though "hey waaait a minute, it would probably be better to put the wheel on before I lower the car. :rolleyes:

But all is well that ends well and I have finished my first COVID car job.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
That's pretty much how I work on my projects, 1 hour or so at a time.

I cut the planned work on Baby Blue when Covid was rearing its head and everything closed up. Taking my daughter out in the Sprite was one of the few things she could still enjoy doing. Heck, it was one of the few things I could still enjoy doing. I'll wait until the winter to restart the work on the car.

nomad

Yoda
Could add urethane bushings to you list, JP, if that hasn't been done. The pandemic isn't over yet!:rolleye::p

Kurt

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Could add urethane bushings to you list, JP, if that hasn't been done. The pandemic isn't over yet!:rolleye::p

Kurt

Could though I did mine all in rubber and it had been fine. Right now more attention has been paid to the house - though if I can sort the electrical gremlins perhaps Mrs JP and I could go for ice cream.