• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Man Cave!! small but efficient!

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
I sit here at my desk in the corner of the basement/garage, looking at the books on the plywood shelves all around me--I notice that they
are all history oriented. British--early western Americana--(side note)I started buying old western magazines on ebay a couple of years ago.
In bulk--15-20--maybe a buck or so each plus shipping--"True West"--"Old West"--"Real West"--"Golden West" true stories written in the 40's-
'50's and 60's--written by the (now) old men who lived at the time--or their children who researched their lives and wrote about it. A lot of pictures,
and descriptions of old ghost towns--great reading! Several books and catalogs on British cars also--

The "man cave" part is that I have in front of me a small laptop for most work--to my left, a large desktop and monitor for files, pictures, and
documents and a small printer---a small 12 in TV to my right, a router, And a VCR below the TV to watch my "Wallace and Gromit" tapes. google it.-my "man cave' is so small--I can sit in my chair where I am now, and reach all the items mentioned above without stretching--
forgot to mention the Nash Metropolitan hood to my right also--

When Penny (my wife) and I started looking for a house in the Oakland,CA hills--in 1980--we had 2 requirements--big enough for our hobbies, but too
small for my kids from a first marriage to come live with us. We found it--1100 square ft---built in 1924--with small additions over the years--
-2 small bedrooms--a basement/garage on a lower
level--accessible by a trap door in the bedroom or outside garage door-one car in the garage and a long drive which can park 3 more (stacked)
Right now--1955 Nash Metropolitan in the garage, and a 1958 Met under the car port--still room for 2 more cars behind that. The 58 Met
belongs to a friend--What I did or are doing--all new interior, all new brakes and brake pipes including disc brakes. Rebuilt engine and transmission.
This is GREAT--he buys the parts and I get to do the work--a win-win situation!
The rest of the basement (remember it''s small)--has car parts--odds and ends collected over the years--plus distributors, carburators,
SU's and Webers---a 4:22 pumpkin for early MG Midget or Sprite --starters, generators and alternators. and a hot water heater-- Penny can just squeeze by to get to the washer and dryer.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Makes me appreciate my garage work space. It houses a John Deere tractor, my TR6, two Lambretta scooters, two bicycles, my workbench, large cubby hole shelf with tools/parts, and two floor jacks and six jack stands.
It’s my “man cavette”. Not complaining as I also have a two car garage where my wife and I park our daily drivers.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Harold - many of us are retired, and devote some of our time to volunteering for non-profits. I'm a volunteer research librarian at the New England Air Museum, and a volunteer farmer/gardener/orchardist at Old Sturbridge Village. Great opportunities to learn, as well as to help others.

What type of volunteer service are you involved in?

Tom M.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm planning on setting up a non-profit when I move back to Memphis here in a few weeks, to cook BBQ for the homeless and also to go to fire departments and police stations and do the same for first responders. I'll post up some pics of the man cave when I get there, sadly for the first few weeks there wont be any LBCs in it due to space (2 car garage) and trying to focus on one project at a time but Itll be epic for sure and small until I can build my big one when I retire:D

OP
H

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
Harold - many of us are retired, and devote some of our time to volunteering for non-profits. I'm a volunteer research librarian at the New England Air Museum, and a volunteer farmer/gardener/orchardist at Old Sturbridge Village. Great opportunities to learn, as well as to help others.

What type of volunteer service are you involved in?

Tom M.
Penny volunteers at Lindsay Wildlife Hospital in Danville, CA (google)--the hospital takes in orphaned and injured wildlife--treated by a
wildlife vet or tech, and to home rehab until released back in the wild--volunteers pay for everything out of their own pockets--
cages--medicine--gas for transporting the animals--a labor of love for wild animals!

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Makes me appreciate my garage work space. It houses a John Deere tractor,...........

My wife loves the outdoors and loves working in her gardens and the yard. As such the John Deere lawn and garden tractor is all hers. When we got the tractor it was usually parked in one bay of my shop. I told her we need to get that thing out of here. She said why I need to park it somewhere. I said yes but you are constantly bring in dirt and mud into the shop. She said so, this place is dirty anyway. I said yes, BUT IT IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF DIRT. As such I built her her own garden and tractor shed.