• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Glad That's Over

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What a weekend
Saturday the main floor AC unit quit working
Holiday diagnostic charge $130. Threw a $30 part at it that ended up not fixing it and cost me $170
Called him up 2 hours later that it still is broken, said he'd be back on Monday. Ghosted me

Monday around 5 I noticed our 3 yr old refer wasn't working but the freezer was. Put a call into them.
came out the next day.Dog hair in the air intake. Wonder if I can get my dog to repay me the appliance home visit. $90

OK, back to the AC. Ordered a condenser fan and arrived to day. The fan was rusted on the motor pulley so applied heat to it and smacked it with a punch and hammer. When it let go my pinky landed on the red hot fan hub and blistered the snot out of it.
Fan back together and back on unit and I have a cool house again
YEA!!!!

Last edited:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Ugh, hopefully things will quite down at least until your finger heals.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ouch.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Egad! I feel your pain, Don.

Had a wicked weekend here as well. Output side of the water heater in the recently finished laundry room let go on Sunday, hose leaked for a couple hours before we found it. Room was a literal sauna, an inch of water on the floor and the paint slipping 'n sagging off the drywall... panic shutdown of the supply and output valves, bucket and mop, rags, a real mess. Trip to the local hardware store for hose replacements, fans running for days now. Will need to remove about half of the sheet-rock and do all that work over again, ceiling and walls, likely the fiberglass insulation as well. It also took out some wall switches and an outlet. Hoses were Chinese, stainless braided covers over junk hose, four years old. Got some copper flex for replacements. Really disgusted.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Figure that's my next thing to go out
Water heater is 12+ yrs old

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
About a year ago the stainless braided supply line sprung a leak. Water started running down the sides of the water heater. When it hit the floor the z-wave moisture sensor immediately turned off the main water valve to the house and sent me an alert text message to let me know.
We were in Boston and returned home to just a small puddle. Without this system the water could have run for days.
920FEBAF-F16A-47FE-A33C-AE56A792986F.jpg5ED0E80C-B9D4-4E48-974C-33D67D78E3FE.jpgAC2624D9-FBE6-4FC7-AB9D-22225C847854.jpg

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Had a leak with the WH a few years ago.
The expansion tank fell (sort of) off and water was running for a couple of hours.
Son was home and AI asked him didn't he hear it
He said no but he did notice that his show had no hot water and no pressure.
KIDS!!!

Luckily the WH is in the garage next to an outside wall and most of it drained out to the bushes

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Figure that's my next thing to go out
Water heater is 12+ yrs old
Do you change the anode? My water heater is also about 12 years old.... about every 4 years I have changed the anode. Fingers crossed.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Little early in the year for A/C isn't it?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Walter, around here it runs all times of the year
We have this thing called oppressive humidity