• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Will life ever be the same? NOPE

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
"The Week" magazine--May 29th--Has an interesting article--"How Pandemics Change Society" The Justinian Plague--A.D. 541--

The Black Death--1347 and several years on--ended the medieval system of "Feudalism" in Europe and Great Britain-and of course the millions
who died in the first "round", and the millions who died in the subsequent resurgence every few years until it finally ran it's course--

In 1802--yellow fever in the French colony of St Domingue (now Haiti) killed around 50,000 soldiers, forcing France to withdraw--and then forcing
France--Napoleon, to sell what is now known as the "Louisiana Purchase"--for $15 million bucks--

The "Spanish Flu" (virus), had the most effect on world history--50 million deaths world wide--675,000 Americans--The flu so affected the
delegates to the Paris Peace Treaty (most American Delegates were missing)--The "Treaty of Versailles" was so punishing to Germany, it
gave rise to the nationalism, and the rise of Nazism--

Well kids, that's your history lesson for today--I'm waiting for some parts from a supplier that (minimal staffing) is slow to fill orders--
With time on my hands--maybe I'll give another history lesson in the next couple of days! (Oh Joy)!--I'm 85 --lot of history to remember!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Harold - I'd bet that life is never the same from one day to another! Virus brings challenge and new ideas, new ideas bring changes.

I see you're a retired airline pilot. Ever fly a DC-3 (or 4)? Life was never the same after the Douglas Commercial 2 and 3 caught on and spurred passenger aviation, back in the 1930s.

Interesting book: Empires of the Sky, by Alexander Rose. Tells details of the "wars" between Lighter than air, and Heavier than air, aviation. Life changed forever when Count von Zeppelin accidentally met "Professor" John Steiner, out in Minnesota in 1863. Life changed again, when stock broker Juan Trippe bought seven war surplus airplanes, and formed Long Island Airways.

Tom M.

OP
H

Harold

Bronze
Country flag
Flew DC3--no--it was a "tail-dragger"--as we say in aviation circles--I flew (keep a score card)!--DC4-DC6-DC7-Lockheed Super-Constallation-C121--generally considered the
most beautiful commercial airplane ever built! Navy Training--Beechcraft T-34--North American T-28-carrier qualified--twin engine S2F--carrier qualified--(side note)--
after carrier landing procedures on land (Pensacola,FL)--and leading a 4 airplane T28 formation out in the Gulf of Mexico--that carrier looked like a postage stamp out there--
As that famous philosopher Yogi Berra once said--"nostalgia isn't what it used to be"--Then Pan American Boeing 707--727--737--747--flew all over the world.

How did I "sucker" myself into trying to relive the past?--The topic at hand--what will the future bring--Various infectious disease experts believe that different strains
of Covid 19 will appear over the years and it will never entirely go away--A new strain has already been discovered in Europe. I have children-grandchildren-and
great grandchildren--what will the future bring--fortunately at least right now--I can go into my garage--sit down next to one of my 2 Nash Metropolitans--coffee
cup in hand and decide what to do next.

Country flag
No doubt things will be different. But I do wonder of the enforced stay at home and the loss of jobs and incomes with the I expect housing and other goods many will lose maybe being a bigger impact. Right now while terrible the overall number of those seriously ill and dead is small, statistically speaking. I for example don't know anyone who's been diagnosed with it, and I'm in the older more vulnerable age group. I suspect what'll impact people more, the young in particular, will be that loss of home and security. Like our parents or grandparents, or in some cases members here, who lived during the depression the uncertainty associated with job losses, worry and possible hardship may shape viewpoints for a long time, especially of as some predict it takes several years for the economy to recover. While I've been lucky so far and still working, when I see the numbers and video of people waiting for food, I have a greater appreciation for my grandparents as young parents during the 1930s.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Two of my friends are gone from it. Both older; one healthy, one fragile. Didn't matter - both gone. The healthy one just got engaged to a very rich widow after his wife died a couple of years ago. I'm healthy for my age (86) but if I get this, I'm probably a goner. And I'm driving back to CT this coming week. My son is against it. He said "You're safe in a foxhole. Why go to the front lines?" I'm not going into the politics of it but there are people out there who think that this thing is just a big hoax and masks are for sissies. And I'm driving right through their territory.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
"The Week" magazine--May 29th--Has an interesting article--"How Pandemics Change Society" The Justinian Plague--A.D. 541--

The Black Death--1347 and several years on--ended the medieval system of "Feudalism" in Europe and Great Britain-and of course the millions
who died in the first "round", and the millions who died in the subsequent resurgence every few years until it finally ran it's course--
In 1802--yellow fever in the French colony of St Domingue (now Haiti) killed around 50,000 soldiers, forcing France to withdraw--and then forcing
France--Napoleon, to sell what is now known as the "Louisiana Purchase"--for $15 million bucks--
gave rise to the nationalism, and the rise of Nazism--

I subscribe to The Week myself and found that article interesting. Wonder if and when hand-shaking might make a return... I hate elbow bumping.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Funerals. First place to be allowed. you heard it here!

Conducted my first COVID funeral this week. In Ontario Funerals are essential but only 10 people allowed - including the pastor. This funeral had the husband/ sister?/ son/ daughter in law and two grandkids. No handshakes, no reception, closed casket as the funeral homes are not embalming, no music, 20 minutes and done. A colleague called the other day and he had done a funeral with no one present. They were zooming the meeting to family out of country so family in country decided to watch online too. He conducted the entire funeral in front of an iphone.

OTOH another colleague had a wedding - this isn't essential so only 5 allowed including the pastor. Here the challenge was that they had a best man and a maid of honour and they also had two kids. Hmmmm. Turns out kids can be witnesses as long as they understand what is going on. This colleague also had a funeral where the man who died left a widow and 5 married children - who doesn't come to the funeral, Hmmm? Interesting times.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You never know how antisocial you are until a pandemic isolates you and your life doesn't change that much! Saw that with Clint Eastwood sitting in a chair on a porch.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Drive safe.
The lock down seems to have reduce the driving skills around here to learner levels.

Most people I see with masks on at the store have them pulled down so their nose is exposed. They then discard the mask in the parking lot along with the gloves they were wearing.

David

Two of my friends are gone from it. Both older; one healthy, one fragile. Didn't matter - both gone. The healthy one just got engaged to a very rich widow after his wife died a couple of years ago. I'm healthy for my age (86) but if I get this, I'm probably a goner. And I'm driving back to CT this coming week. My son is against it. He said "You're safe in a foxhole. Why go to the front lines?" I'm not going into the politics of it but there are people out there who think that this thing is just a big hoax and masks are for sissies. And I'm driving right through their territory.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am amazed at the number of people is see wearing masks with their noses out.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd hate to die and have nobody come to my funeral. What's the point?

that's why you should always go to other people's funerals, then they will come to yours.

Country flag
And, make younger friends as you move through live, that way if you outlive your peer group, there's still some to come. I saw that with my maternal great aunts who lived into their 90s, only ones there was a small group of family. Kind of sad that there was really no one outside to remember them.

I lost an old friend of 45 years late February o cancer before the virus and lock downs. Wile I'll miss being able to talk to him for the rest of my days, I'm also kind of relieved that his wife didn't have to worry over that as well during his final days.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Very dismayed to see a group of people - none wearing masks - milling around the entrance to a seafood restaurant in Sarasota literally cheek to cheek. My wife refused to go in to order dinner. We stayed in our car and phoned it in, then waited 40 minutes untul it was ready. All young people of course.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I suspect that most of the home made masks and the masks makers that have sprung up on e bay are more symbolic than useful. Seems even a bandanna over the nose and mouth is acceptable.

I am putting more faith in distance and liberally spraying my hands down with 91% alcohol when I get back to my truck. When I get my shopping cart it gets hosed down as well.

David

Spray bottle 2.jpg
A mixture of 91% Alcohol and Aloe.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A refillable pen-like hand-sanitizer sprayer in my shirt pocket, spray bottle of either alcohol or peroxide in each car, roll of paper towels as well.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Same here Doc.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
A refillable pen-like hand-sanitizer sprayer in my shirt pocket, spray bottle of either alcohol or peroxide in each car, roll of paper towels as well.
This also has the required concentration of alcohol. Imagine having an open bottle of that in the car. "Really officer, it's for my hands"

img58451882.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
We leave for CT tomorrow. Hope to make it stopping only one night. What my poor body will feel like is another matter. We have food and drink, rubber gloves for gas stops, masks for indoor and as for the call of nature - well, there are woods along the way and we'll make like a bear....It will be like running the gauntlet, only to arrive is Stamford - Ground Zero for the virus- almost 1300 deaths so far. We must be crazy.