• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No longer lurking in Portland. 56 TR3

PDXGreg

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi there. I have a 56 TR3 that my dad and I restored together in the late 80’s. I was supposed to drive it to high school but after a frame-off restoration I was in my second year of college before it was completed and he and my mom drove it all over the country with the COVTR (Central Oklahoma). So I drove a 71 TR6 with overdrive in college - loved that car. Sold it before our last move to make room for the TR3. The engine Still runs strong. I’m no longer a purist so contemplating a 5-speed Trans conversion either Toyota or another? And also the rack and pinion steering kit that’s out there. Right now I just installed LED taillights. My left one is dimmer and then my right one will not signal with the headlights on(gah!!) electrical is not my strength. Would also like to make the taillights double as brake lights next. But first things first.

So I’ve been reading everything electrical on the forums. Thanks for posting!

Attachments

• 1E0CEA21-893B-4E59-A9E9-11C98EB42BC3.jpg
    1E0CEA21-893B-4E59-A9E9-11C98EB42BC3.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 52

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

That is a great looking TR3.
You will find the Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and help with any issues you have with your TR3. The LED light issue may be poor grounds to the rear lights. Is the car positive or negative ground?

David

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
Gregg,
I just finished that "tail light" thing with my 56. Randall (TR3driver) was an immense help as I, also, am not an electrical guy. I spent 4 Air force years in Tacoma and found Portland to be one of my favorite west coast cities.
The Triumph community here is great!

OP
P

PDXGreg

Freshman Member
Country flag
It’s negative ground. Also Someone had run a wire from center brake light to the left tailight, so maybe this is the culprit. Hopefully get back to it this weekend Take care.