• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Dash for Sports/Racer

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thought I would post up a picture of the new dash for my Cooper based sports/racer. You guys have been very helpful in answering my questions and identifying parts as some are shared with a TD. When I redid the dash I decided to incorporate more TD parts to be more period correct. Besides, what has more quirk than a TD and that is what I was going for. There were several Cooper/MG specials built in the early 50's. The most famous is JOY 500, kind of inspired me. My friends kinda shake their heads when I explain how the directional signals work.

DSCN2359 (1280x960).jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
that looks amazing! (have we seen pictures of the actual car?)

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
It is coming out pretty well. There are more pictures of the car at my profile page. To understand the car, one needs to understand the Cooper cars built by John Cooper in the late 40's and early 50's. It is a wonderfully weird little car, especially this one with the sports/racer body and an Alfa engine.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ooo pretty. (nice TR too) and clean garage!

Do you know the story?

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Not the early history although there is a bit of history on the car itself, bottom hinged doors since welded up prior to my ownership and ground down welds on the frame tubes indicating previous engine. I bought the car in very rough condition in 1969 powered by a very worn out 750 series Alfa 1300, block number dated the engine from a 1956 Alfa. The car is titled a Gemini, although it shows no relationship to either a Gemini or the earlier Moreland. The suspension is purely Cooper with propitiatory castings and other parts. Diff in an ENV placed in a fabricated housing for IRS, typical of Cooper front engine cars. I replaced the engine with an Alfa 1600 in the early 70's because one became available. In the later 70's I started auto crossing and hill climbing the car. I switched to Formula Vee tires. The car was quick through the gears, even posted TTD at a statewide autocross meet in about 1985. With the modern sticky tires, larger engine I managed to break stub axles, the increase grip twisted the weak chassis and caused cracks in the aluminum body. I pretty much ruined the little thing. The engine started to give problem so I put the car away for a couple of decades. I thought I might like to go vintage racing so I put a roll structure in it in about 2007, lost interest and put it back in storage. I built a decent shop, and learned some metal and painting skills; acquired some fabrication equipment. I restored my grandfathers 42 John Deere B and then the TR4. About a year or so ago I decided to restore the sports/racer. I intend to license the car again and very carefully drive it occasionally. Probably more than you wanted to know.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not the early history although there is a bit of history on the car itself, bottom hinged doors since welded up prior to my ownership and ground down welds on the frame tubes indicating previous engine. I bought the car in very rough condition in 1969 powered by a very worn out 750 series Alfa 1300, block number dated the engine from a 1956 Alfa. The car is titled a Gemini, although it shows no relationship to either a Gemini or the earlier Moreland. The suspension is purely Cooper with propitiatory castings and other parts. Diff in an ENV placed in a fabricated housing for IRS, typical of Cooper front engine cars. I replaced the engine with an Alfa 1600 in the early 70's because one became available. In the later 70's I started auto crossing and hill climbing the car. I switched to Formula Vee tires. The car was quick through the gears, even posted TTD at a statewide autocross meet in about 1985. With the modern sticky tires, larger engine I managed to break stub axles, the increase grip twisted the weak chassis and caused cracks in the aluminum body. I pretty much ruined the little thing. The engine started to give problem so I put the car away for a couple of decades. I thought I might like to go vintage racing so I put a roll structure in it in about 2007, lost interest and put it back in storage. I built a decent shop, and learned some metal and painting skills; acquired some fabrication equipment. I restored my grandfathers 42 John Deere B and then the TR4. About a year or so ago I decided to restore the sports/racer. I intend to license the car again and very carefully drive it occasionally. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Not even close to all I want to know - just such a fascinating car! thanks for sharing