• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opinion on spark plug color

G0bigred

Freshman Member
1960 Austin Healey 3000 BN7 just recently replaced my ignition coil and am syncing the carbs up myself. Here are what my spark plugs look like. I think they are pretty dang close. What adjustments do you think I should make (if any)?

Attachments

• Sprak Plug 1.jpg
    Sprak Plug 1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Sprak Plug 2.jpg
    Sprak Plug 2.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Spark Plug 3.jpg
    Spark Plug 3.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 177

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I looked it up in my SU Dictionary of Terms. A 'little' is quarter turn of the adjusting screw, a 'bit' is eighth of a turn and 'do nothing' is don't meddle.
For what it's worth, I'd adjust the rear carb a 'bit' and the front 'do nothing' and try it for a few miles to see how it balances out. Bill Rawles told me they like to run rich and it's seems to work for me.
AJ

OP
G

G0bigred

Freshman Member
Ha thanks! Great definitions. Just adjusted the rear carb an eighth and the front a 16th. I’ll take it on a run and see how it looks.

D

Deleted member 21878

not to insult in any way... but not knowing how you check your plugs, i would offer this.

i was always told this:

first, make sure your timing and valves are adjusted correctly.

Then take the car on a twenty mile run to make sure it is good and warmed up. the last ten miles don't let the car go under 2500 RPM's. if you have to slow down, shift down but keep the rpm's up. No idling. when you get to a place at the end of those ten miles you can pull off, shut off the engine and drift to a stop. lift the hood and check the plugs.

This gives your car time to clean up the plugs and a more accurate check of what the car is doing at speed. better for the car to run a little rich around town than to run lean at speed.

i have a place 10 miles from home i drive to and then turn around. on the way home i keep the RPM's over 2500. when i get back to my drive, i shut off the engine and drift to the shop. let the car cool a little and then pull the plugs. i know other guys who have taken their plug wrench with them because the have to stop going home.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
DD--

You said: "Then take the car on a twenty mile run to make sure it is good and warmed up. the last ten miles don't let the car go under 2500 RPM's. if you have to slow down, shift down but keep the rpm's up. No idling. when you get to a place at the end of those ten miles you can pull off, shut off the engine and drift to a stop. lift the hood and check the plugs."

It's always nice to take a 20 mile ride but it's not necessary to find a highway on which to do a spark plug check. After the engine is at running temperature you can simply get up to around 3000-3500 rpm's and hold there for 10-15 seconds, then while holding there switch off the key and come to a rest.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
The Lodge plug is from my Austin Seven. Lodge Sintox plugs were popular at one time back in U.K., especially for racing.
They are still available, though they haven't been made for 50 years or so.

The plug shown can be disassembled, and the electrode removed for cleaning, which was a very useful feature in cars with plug-oiling tendencies.