• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

suspension puzzle

masked

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hey, I own a 72 TR6 and recently went through the front and rear suspension upgrade, i took out tube shock conversion and installed new lever shocks that have the upgraded ball bearings and do not leak as the original type did. The problem is when going over bumps a loud banging noise comes from the rear axle and so i went in and tightened all bolts and nothing seems out of order. I intend to have the alignment done and reinstall the sway bar in the rear that i had removed. I also tried inflating the tires to 32 rear 27 front. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
First welcome to the British Car Forum.
I would go back a check the shock mounting bolts. If they are not tight you will hear a โ€œclunkโ€ going over bumps.
Also, you will get a larger response if you post your question in the โ€œTriumphโ€ section of the forum.

OP
M

masked

Freshman Member
Country flag
I will put this question in the Triumph forum area, thanks for the advise. I did go back and tighten everything down and all was good, I wonder if the spacers are causing the car to make things worse when running over any bumps on the road, the front is great, and the new bushings work well there. I want to get this fixed so I can move on to the other list of things to do. Take care,

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hi Mask, welcome to BCF. What part of Denver? I went to High School living in Aurora (Hinkley High class of 72)

OP
M

masked

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the welcome, I am in the SE part of Denver, and am a lifetime owner of British cars, but have had a few Italian cars from time to time. I do a lot of my own work on the TR6, but sometimes take it to Kats British repair. Where do you have repairs done?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for the welcome, I am in the SE part of Denver, and am a lifetime owner of British cars, but have had a few Italian cars from time to time. I do a lot of my own work on the TR6, but sometimes take it to Kats British repair. Where do you have repairs done?

I do most of my own repairs. Don't really have a "place" but do have some friends who are better mechanics than I that I sometimes call upon to help. I used to have a friend who owned his own Jag / foreign repair shop who I would sometimes take bits and pieces to (for example, he rebuilt the rear hubs on my 67 Etype). He was a Master of Masters factory-trained Jag mechanic. Sadly he committed suicide a couple years ago (no one saw that coming).