• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Friday past, Saturday beguine...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOW! Sheer perfection! Thanks, Bubba - great way to start today off!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That ol' Cole Porter did a lot of things while cruising between Kalabahi and Fiji on the RMS Franconia!

Begin the Beguine is a great way to start the day. But then, so is Begin the Begin -

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Geez, Tom. That is more like a Saturday morning defibrillator! :excitement:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Pure grace and athleticism. Thanks for posting that doc.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Pure grace and athleticism. Thanks for posting that doc.

T'wern't nuttin' sir, my pleasure.

Astaire and Kelly were idols of mine coming up, they epitomized the definition of grace and style. I knew I'd never hold a candle to them, had only one partner to appreciate the intricacies of dance, a State Champion at fencing, oddly enuff. She taught me fencing. Haven't danced since, no condition now to even consider it. :wink:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Back at ya, Bubba!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That beats th' heck outta reveille, Bro! Thanks!

Country flag
I may have come along after that era, but for years swing and big bands have been part of my play list. Got it from my dad who had LPs of some of that stuff so heard it as a kid.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One of my favorites from Cole Porter (though this version is a swinging version).

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Easily one of the best versions. :eek:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Listened to a lot of Artie Shaw growing up. Tried learning to play the clarinet well, never could come even close to the way he and Goodman played. My uncle Joe could, though. He could play "Flight of the Bumblebee" on one.

Another of my fave Shaw songs:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'd bet there are a few of us that wish the 1940s sound was more a part of what we hear today...

Somehow, smashing guitars, amplified distortion, and pyrotechnics don't quite cut it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd bet there are a few of us that wish the 1940s sound was more a part of what we hear today...

great tunes all - a little more modern but I love the video (and have posted before)

I love that in those days manly men and movie heros sand and danced and didn't just kill people or beat them up.

Oh and Tom, my inlaws came to Canada on the Ascania - sister ship to the Franconia.

Country flag
And I knew where way too many of those clips came from, sitting here naming them. I need a hobby...

But, reminded me of telling the lady friend, who's a dozen years younger, about meeting Uncle Miltie my first year in college and that if cellphones had existed I'd have gotten a selfie. Her response was to ask who Uncle Miltie was, and still didn't know when I said Milton Berle. Told her we really needed to work on her pop culture knowledge...

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mike said:
And I knew where way too many of those clips came from, sitting here naming them. I need a hobby...

And few knew Cagney was a dancer. The clip of him on those stairs was too short.