• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hide the Women and Children

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This car was built locally to me in Massachusetts. I'm surprised they didn't show it with the top up as it's been chopped a few inches. Friends of the owner told me he had a small trailer he'd tow down and back to Florida each winter with it. I was asked what I thought it was worth and not surprisingly gave an estimate considerably lower than today's ask. I have a picture of it with the top raised. I'll try to find it.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I hope this doesn't offend any one but that is truly fugly. As the French say, "Chacun à son goût." I've never played basket ball with a lowered hoop because I'm only (well, really was only) 5'8". I suppose if I'd felt like doing that nobody would have stopped me. But if I'd bought a Van Gogh and adjusted it with rattle can paint, I believe I'd be scorned and perhaps rightfully. I hope he enjoyed it throughly, but glad I was not the neighbor. That thing is like an earworm song. Once you see it you can't un-see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
With the top up.

91258049_813980485677790_8871487771475181568_n.jpg

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Even worse with top up.

Are the two hood straps required to keep all those horses in place?

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Looks like he kept the original gauges except for the tachometer. Isn't getting the exhaust routed out one of the main challenges of a V-8 conversion? Well the builder was up to the challenge!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Looks like he kept the original gauges except for the tachometer. Isn't getting the exhaust routed out one of the main challenges of a V-8 conversion? Well the builder was up to the challenge!

I asked the friends of the owner why he routed the headers that way I was told that was the only way he could figure out how to do it.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I agree it's hideous. As far as the exhaust, it looks like maybe there was no other choice - the text of the ad says the floors were lowered and the pictures of the interior do look like the seats are much lower than stock. If they sheeted across the bottom of the outriggers, there would be no where to put mufflers which forced the side pipes? Just a guess.

The top-down pictures remind me of VW Beetle converts that you could not see out the back of. If it was a roadster where you just removed the top, and if the interior was like stock, and if it didn't have the side pipes, and if it had a different paint job, this might be acceptable....

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Editor Reid,
I have to say au contraire and thank you. I actually fretted over not being able to put l' accent grave and l'accent circonflexe over the appropriate letters in my post. I still have no clue how to accomplish that feat and I am happy to see your attention to detail bears truth to the title of "Editor". I didn't notice until now that my lazyness had been corrected. When I went back and read my post and saw the corrections I thought it must have been some new form of autocorrect I was not familiar with. Then I saw your comment. I almost spritzed my after dinner coffee. You da man.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Editor Reid,
I have to say au contraire and thank you. I actually fretted over not being able to put l' accent grave and l'accent circonflexe over the appropriate letters in my post. I still have no clue how to accomplish that feat and I am happy to see your attention to detail bears truth to the title of "Editor". I didn't notice until now that my laziness had been corrected. When I went back and read my post and saw the corrections I thought it must have been some new form of autocorrect I was not familiar with. Then I saw your comment. I almost spritzed my after dinner coffee. You da man.

Thanks for noticing. French is my second language (although some might say that English is) and I do try to defend its honor. Carry on.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The first pipe on each side is dark, therefore the rest are dummies. So that's phony too.

Good observation, Steve. Wonder if the car has cast iron manifolds with a single outlet going to the header? It would be interesting to see some detail of the exhaust routing. The car had been advertised by the builder on Craigslist a few years ago and he also had some hot rods and customs up for sale that he had built to his own taste. A lot of work had to go into this and despite it not being what most of us would do, he must have got a lot of enjoyment from it and isn't this the point of Healeys?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Rick--

You said: "A lot of work had to go into this and despite it not being what most of us would do, he must have got a lot of enjoyment from it and isn't this the point of Healeys?"

So if I could afford to buy the Mona Lisa would it be okay if I added a mustache?