• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heater and A/C Recommendations?

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We're looking into replacing one or both units.
I thought I'd see what you guys think.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
we just had to put a new furnace - ended up with a Lennox. a couple of thoughts.

1. buy a name brand, when it does break down you want to get parts.

2. We didn't get absolute top end but we got much more than the bottom end - the promotion they were running meant it was literally only a couple hundred dollars to get a much more efficient machine.

3. Get a reputable installer. We bought our hot water heater from a big box store (rhymes with gnome repo) when it stopped working the store blamed the installer who blamed the manufacturer who blamed the store - we got it fixed but the advantage of an installer is that there is at least one fewer person to blame.

BTW the heater came with a one year warranty - it broke (sensor) at 8 months - manufacturer claimed that it was out of warranty. Why? because to their way of thinking the warranty started ticking on the day of manufacture. As far as I can tell the only warranties that work that way are milk and fresh meat. Anyway to resolve it (not making this up) I had to email the manufacturer proof that I had purchased the heater AFTER it was manufactured. :rolleyes:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Must be nice to have AC. I have a fan that we place in the window.

Down here we've ceiling fans, no central A/C. Broke down last year and got a "window shaker" 'cause Mitsy crabbed at me long enuff I got tired of hearing it. Half the time I get up and go to the couch.

I'm in Florida on purpose.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - I assume you have ducts in your house for the heating/cooling, and not the "ductless" type system.

In your climate zone, you might benefit from a heat pump instead of separate heating and cooling systems. Gets way too cold to rely on heat pump systems for heating here in New England, altho' some folks use them until cold weather hits, then switch on additional heating (usually electric). Also, our electric costs around 20 cents per kwh, much higher than average USA.

I chose oil burner furnace with hydronic heating, as it's the cheapest way to go at present. Also chose window units for (rare) cooling, as I can cool only the room(s) I need, instead of shelling out the bucks to cool the entire house. Can't imagine how people afford heating/cooling for those 15 room McMansions that were popular years ago.

If you have a non-shaded side of your house that faces south, you might benefit from adding inexpensive passive solar heating. On sunny winter days here, I don't even use the furnace. The passive solar heat the first floor. Building the system cost me a whopping $25, and paid for itself in less than a month.

Do you heat with gas now? or oil, or ...?

Tom M.