• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 1976 TR6 Steering Rack Boots [gaters]

Sbardon

Country flag
All,
I have just removed the steering rack for service.
Boots are original, 44 years old.
I was thinking replace just because.... yet... them seem perfect.
No marks, cracks, and still very elastic... is this a case where the originals are better then what is available new?
Just put them back on? they are inexpensive, that is not the issue, just wondering about quality...
Any one have any insight?
Regards,
Stephen
IMG_8475.JPG

PS: and in case any one is wondering, the outboard edge is 3 3/8" from the inboard side of the tie-rod nut.
...seems to be a good installation dimension for longevity, (44 years).

76 TR6 CF15584U

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My guess is that those 44 year-old boots have a better chance of surviving another 20 years than a set of new boots. But that is just a guess.

BTW - I think the boots on my TR4 are 56 years old and they are still fine.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I agree. Use the originals if possible.

Cheers
Tush

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Gentlemen, Thank you very much. I will use the originals.
Any comments on the tie rod ends?? ...they seem tight but boots are gone....
I hope to be pulling the unit apart today, see what the rest of it looks like.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The boots are probably not original, if they are in such good condition, but that really doesn't matter. They are probably way better than what you can get today. The rubber used today is absolute garbage. The manufacturers have to know that, but keep pushing parts with rubber that doesn't last a year.

As for the tie-rod ends--whether you get new ones or find some generic replacement boots that fit, the rubber will fall apart in a year, at most. That happened to the Lucas tie-rod ends I put on my TR4A. I found generic boots to replace them, but those were gone in a few months, too. I had bought extra boots, just to have a few spares, and those are cracking now as well, even though they were stored in a sealed plastic bag.

My solution was to make boots out of some thin, flexible leather I have here. Leather is tough, oil-resistant, and flexible. My only concern is about water resistance, but this is, after all, southern California, and I don't think they'll get wet much.

Another option is silicone. There are some silicone boots for sale on eBay that might fit. They're sold out of eastern Europe, so shipping may take a while, and I don't really know if they are any better. Hard for them to be worse, though. There are also some polyurethane boots around, but I couldn't find ones that were close enough in size.

Meanwhile, my upper radiator hose is cracking, as are the rear exhaust hangers. But, ironically in this case, the steering boots are fine. Sigh.

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Sarastro, I have had the car since 86... so they are at least that old, I will re-use them.. must be 'good ones'.
I will look at the boots Geo Hahn suggested... the tie rod ends are tight, just need to clean and re-lube, if that is possible....??

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Geo Hahan, thanks, I will look into those!
hmmm is there a size? still have to see if I can clean and lubricate mine....

BTW... thanks for the pics! Very clean!!!!! Does she ever go out? :smile: maybe that's why they are lasting?

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
All,
ok... now I am earlobe deep in steering...

View attachment 63833
Tie rod ends: sounds like new ones are hit and miss as well? ....try to clean mine and re-lube? or just get new ones that have the grease fittings?
Copy of IMG_8489.JPG

Lower steering column universal: I removed to clean, maybe paint and discovered a serious "catch" in one of the axis, feels munched... yet is still tight. The ones I see on-line do not look as robust as the one on the car (sorry I forgot to take a pic).
Comments? Moss at least looks cast, RF seems to have a stamped plate component... (it is currently soaking in varsol, and my fingers are crossed it will free up.

Tush,
I think we are neighbors so to speak, I hope you got out for a run on this gorgeous day.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Since the ones you're using are 'lubed for life' I don't know an effective way to clean and re-lube. With a Zerk you can just pump in fresh grease and the old will get pushed out.

Those generic boots are okay - the keep the grease in and dirt and water out which is pretty much the job that needs done.

... Very clean!!!!! Does she ever go out?

Took a 5,000 mile trip last September. All told, the boots have 35,000 miles on them.

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Geo Hahn, Good to know. Nice trip! Well, in that pic she looks so clean. Very nice.
I ordered new ones with grease fittings... but will still see if mine can clean up.

thanks again.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
George, I went through the whole Energy Suspension line of boots, and nothing was really close enough to the TR4A dimensions that I was confident in it. It's possible, though, that other tie-rod ends and ball joints have different outer dimensions. They are claimed to be flexible polyurethane, which at least isn't rubber, so I'd be willing to try it.

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Gentlemen,
As I dig the 'steering' sandy hole deeper...
Opinion pls:
The Pinion, there is virtually no wear on the lower thrust washer.
The top thrust washer has significant wear.
The thrust washers do not appear to be available.
IMG_8510.JPGIMG_8505.JPG
Re assemble as is: 0.010" play in pinion, book says 0.010" max
Invert thrust washer and re assemble: 0.003" play.

I expect the warn pinion not matching the new flat surface will quickly 'wear into' the trust washer and there will be more clearance/play....

So....
1) Assemble with the washer inverted? (0.003"... may quickly become more)
2) Order and wait for a 0.005" shim and assemble as is?

Currently leaning towards inverting the thrust washer.

opinions appreciated...

thanks, Stephen

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Summary:
-44 year old boots(gaters) are probably 'good ones', probably better than new.
- FYI: were installed 3-3/8" from tie rod end lock nut, probably a number to note.
-A suggestion of a good tie rod boot.
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- I have ordered new.
-Lower steering universal - solid, yet a stiff catch... shopping.
- trying to see if I can find like original (robust), if not RF as suggested.
IMG_8522.JPG
-Steering gear Pinion, Have ordered shims, will mount warn to warn to max surface area.

Thanks again to all.
Cheers,
Stephen

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Want to see the TRF U-joint installed.....nothing puny about it.TR6 Steering shaft U-joint 001.jpgTR6 Steering shaft U-joint 001.jpg

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Pool boy,
Thanks, I will have to call them and ask.... I see both RF and Moss use the same Exploded Graphic... it lead me astray...
New Picture (1).jpg
Yet I see a picture of the one like yours on the Moss Item, perhaps it is the same one RF sells, I will call then and ask, thanks.
(Hate to have to replace mine, is so solid and tight, just has a nasty 'click' which of course is a sign of things to come.)
I take it that it is sturdy?

thanks,
Stephen

Attachments

• New Picture (1).bmp
    111 KB · Views: 78

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
That's just a drawing !
Yeah, I'd call the real thing sturdy...good enough for me.

OP
S

Sbardon

Country flag
Poolboy, the saga.... ordered from Moss.... was stuck in LA post office for 5 weeks. Found one at a supplier here in Canada, hour drive... picked it up and low and behold original!
Installed and done...
of course the Moss part arrived the next day.... returned.
Thanks again.
(now I just have to figure out my major vacuum issue..... becoming not fun.)