• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Broken Shock Mounts

AH67AH

Freshman Member
Country flag
My BJ8 has the Bilstein shock conversion installed. They were put on over ten years ago but have minimal mileage on them, because the car was laid up a couple years after installation. Just before going into storage, one of the rear adapters failed in spectacular fashion. I just discovered it while working to get the car back on the road.

The bracket is only supported at the bottom, with a long upright to hold the top of the shock. This entire top piece is what tore away. It looks like a lack of support and/or insufficiently strong material is the cause. Has anyone else experienced this issue? It seems like a simple gusset could have prevented the break.

I emailed the manufacturer and he notes they have changed the design and beefed up the materials, so I assume this isn't the first failure. He offered to sell me new mounts at $85 each. Has anyone seen or used the newer design who can tell me if they're worth buying, or perhaps I should have my own mounts fabricated? I guess there's no warranty on them, unfortunately. Any input appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• shock1.jpg
    shock1.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 124
  • shock2.jpg
    shock2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 129

HealeyBN7

Country flag
It looks rather homemade. The failure is likely due to undersized materials and the lack of boxing of the tube/channel. The good news is the weld held. It looks like it is possible for the channel to defect with the shock load (parallelogram) and that is what caused the fractures to develop and cause it to rip away. Shock loads are significant.

Good that you are asking about failures as one should never have to worry about structural failures when driving a car on the street.

I would be hesitant to accept a replacement product without some evidence of engineering or testing. Engineering modeling/stress testing can now be done on-line with simple programs.

It doesn't make sense that the vendor won't honor a free replacement??? Did you show them these photos?

Dean

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Is that an early Udo?

$85 each for replacements sounds reasonable after 10 years of use. Sounds pretty close to cost.

If you don't do your own welding, you'd have a tough time making new bottom pieces and welding them up for that price.

I know. I built my own setup and bought out the machine work and welding and overall it was almost as expensive as buying his.

Country flag
I just had a similar break--good weld, metal fatigue next to it--on a shield I fabbed for my lawn edger. I'm not a metallurgist, but I think the heat of the weld changes the crystalline structure of the metal, making it more brittle, esp. where there's a lot of vibration. Anyway, if it is a Putzke setup the new ones look more rugged. What is it bolted to?

OP
AH67AH

AH67AH

Freshman Member
Country flag
Yes, it's a Putzke setup. It's attached just how you see in the second photo above. Two bolts on the bottom of the L section.

It doesn't make sense that the vendor won't honor a free replacement??? Did you show them these photos?

I sent him the same photos posted above. He asked if the car was lowered (it isn't) and noted "We have made some more changes from the early version to today and recommend to switch both brackets (left/right). There come with new upper hardware and stronger material." These new brackets are what I'm curious about. I really don't want this to happen again, especially if my wife is driving. I mean, it's a suspension part not a speaker bezel. The sound it made banging against the chassis was... interesting. The other option is to go back to stock shockers, but new brackets would be cheaper and easier.

$85 each for replacements sounds reasonable after 10 years of use. Sounds pretty close to cost.

With due respect, it seems to me that something like a shock mount shouldn't have a service life of a couple years of use. It should certainly outlast the shock that's attached to it. Especially when there are maybe 2,000 normal driving miles on it. I get that he's probably a one man show and I'm not trying to pick on the guy or anything, I just want to make sure I'm buying a safe and properly engineered product. Hence the query to to group.

Thanks for the input so far, it's appreciated.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
AH67AH,
Udo's got a lot of kits out there. He's the main go-to guy for this. He should be able to fix you up.

In 2005 I installed the Cape rear shock kit. The bottoms broke in 2007. Didn't want to replace them with the same design, so I designed my own lower mounts and beefed them up a couple of times when they also bent.

screenshot.2211.jpg

These are low-production items, so sometimes they have to be developed by testing in the field (by us).

OP
AH67AH

AH67AH

Freshman Member
Country flag
Fair enough, but considering the kits are designed by an engineer at one of the biggest shock manufacturers in the world, and advertised as having a lifetime warranty, I figured they would have held up to minimal road use. Especially considering the $1100 price tag. So hopefully it's understandable that I'm a bit gun shy to send yet more money on new brackets.

These are low-production items, so sometimes they have to be developed by testing in the field (by us).

I've been driving vintage cars of all types for a very long time, so I'm not really looking to be a test subject. Hopefully more data will emerge on the reliability and design of the new mounts. Someone off-list sent me the latest instructions for the kit this evening, but they show exactly what I have.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
In my mind a shock shouldn't bend itself or break its mountings. The shock would have to bottom out on its travel to bend itself or break its mountings or its location/geometry is really wrong.

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I've had no problem with the Putzke shock kit that I installed on my BN7 several years ago. Creating sturdy mounts for tube shocks on these cars strikes me has pretty challenging, and the arrangement that Putzke developed appears to be mechanically extremely stressed. But isn't it true that this Bilstein shock system is a pretty standard fitment on race-prepped Healeys, just as Weber carbs replace the SUs? I think the very limited travel possible with the Healey rear end design means really harsh tire impacts hammer the components more than you would expect in more typical rear suspensions.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
AH67AH
A different approach is the Koni tube shock kit from the '60s. I have had a set of these for over 20 years (including 15 years vintage racing) and never had a problem with the mountings. Initially I was worried about the strength of the sheet metal for the upper mounts but there has never been a crack.

Koni hasn't made these kits for many years but the fabrication of the mounts is fairly straightforward.

Attached is the installation instruction sheet for the rears - the only thing it doesn't detail is that the lower bracket for the right side is offset to move the shock inboard enough to clear the Ebrake cable and therefore the location of the upper bracket is also moved inward a bit. (I don't have dimensional info or remember exact offset because I modified mine to match the left side and changed my Ebrake cable mount accordingly)
IMG_3427 (2).jpg

I'm not advocating anything here but just showing another way that has been done since the '60s. Down side is it required drilling holes in the bodywork and I completely understand why the other mounting system is attractive to most.

Note to anyone considering making their own mounts to copy the Koni setup shown here: I would be willing to share photos and dimensional info with anyone wanting it, but be aware that Koni quit making this particular shock a few years ago so you would need to find a shock with the length and stroke to work. The Koni rear shock part number is/was 80-1504.

I was lucky and found an original uninstalled kit on ebay 25 years ago - probably not much chance of finding one now.

just food for thought.

Dave

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Below is my solution for the last 13 years.

Having said that, think the most cost-effective way to solve the broken-Putzke problem above would be to try to get the best price from Udo, examine the new parts and if not satisfied weld on reinforcing gussets and maybe a tie-rod between them.

Cape upper mount similar to Koni:

CapeShockUpperMount.jpg

New lower mounts:
LRmountDwg.jpg
LLMountDwg.jpg

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If the price seems too high, for this or anything else, just divide the price by 10, which puts it into 1970s dollars. $85 divided by 10 is $8.50. It's a no-brainer bargain.

I follow this rule with lots of purchases. They sound a lot more reasonable that way, and my wife seems to buy it.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If the price seems too high, for this or anything else, just divide the price by 10, which puts it into 1970s dollars. $85 divided by 10 is $8.50. It's a no-brainer bargain.

I follow this rule with lots of purchases. They sound a lot more reasonable that way, and my wife seems to buy it.

$17 for both sides. Still a virtual bargain. :cool:

OP
AH67AH

AH67AH

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hey, if that was the actual price then I'd be first in line! But my bank account's imagination isn't as creative as mine. :smile:

I don't see the brackets as overpriced at $85 each, IF they aren't going to break. But any price is too expensive for something with a claimed lifetime warranty that isn't honored.

The Koni solution is sound, but I don't personally like the idea of drilling holes in the chassis. I may just fabricate my own mounts so that I know they're up to the task, and because I need another project I don't have time for.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hey, if that was the actual price then I'd be first in line! But my bank account's imagination isn't as creative as mine. :smile:

I don't see the brackets as overpriced at $85 each, IF they aren't going to break. But any price is too expensive for something with a claimed lifetime warranty that isn't honored.

The Koni solution is sound, but I don't personally like the idea of drilling holes in the chassis. I may just fabricate my own mounts so that I know they're up to the task, and because I need another project I don't have time for.

Is the lifetime warranty for the Bilstein shocks or for Udo's pieces? It might just be for the shocks. What does the brochure say?

Looking at your pictures, the upright ripped out of the lower part. I'd think you could fabricate a new bottom out of thicker square tubing and weld the old upright to it with gussets or a reinforcing plate and take it from there.

There are a lot of Healey folks with Udo's kits and yours is the first failure I've heard of. I have several friends with them who engage in spirited driving.

Ask Udo if he'll guarantee the new ones in writing for free replacement if they break.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Steve's upper mount from the Cape looks to be thinner metal than the mount that has broken for AH67AH, yet Steve's isn't broken or bent after a whole lot of miles. The only way AH67AH's mount could have broken as shown is from it being jammed or forced or twisted heavily. Shocks under appropriate conditions don't put any more pressure on their mounts than the pressure it takes to close them up. AH67AH's mounting arrangement is not right. You could reinforce that all you want and if it didn't break again it would bend something else.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
AH67AH
A different approach is the Koni tube shock kit from the '60s. I have had a set of these for over 20 years (including 15 years vintage racing) and never had a problem with the mountings. Initially I was worried about the strength of the sheet metal for the upper mounts but there has never been a crack.

Koni hasn't made these kits for many years but the fabrication of the mounts is fairly straightforward.

Attached is the installation instruction sheet for the rears - the only thing it doesn't detail is that the lower bracket for the right side is offset to move the shock inboard enough to clear the Ebrake cable and therefore the location of the upper bracket is also moved inward a bit. (I don't have dimensional info or remember exact offset because I modified mine to match the left side and changed my Ebrake cable mount accordingly)
View attachment 63795

I'm not advocating anything here but just showing another way that has been done since the '60s. Down side is it required drilling holes in the bodywork and I completely understand why the other mounting system is attractive to most.

Note to anyone considering making their own mounts to copy the Koni setup shown here: I would be willing to share photos and dimensional info with anyone wanting it, but be aware that Koni quit making this particular shock a few years ago so you would need to find a shock with the length and stroke to work. The Koni rear shock part number is/was 80-1504.

I was lucky and found an original uninstalled kit on ebay 25 years ago - probably not much chance of finding one now.

just food for thought.

Dave

Oh.... Now I know why your were able to blast through T5-A/T5-B at PRW with ease, never missing beat...:encouragement:

Dave PRW T5A.jpg

OP
AH67AH

AH67AH

Freshman Member
Country flag
Steve's upper mount from the Cape looks to be thinner metal than the mount that has broken for AH67AH, yet Steve's isn't broken or bent after a whole lot of miles. The only way AH67AH's mount could have broken as shown is from it being jammed or forced or twisted heavily. Shocks under appropriate conditions don't put any more pressure on their mounts than the pressure it takes to close them up. AH67AH's mounting arrangement is not right. You could reinforce that all you want and if it didn't break again it would bend something else.

Those forces can be tremendous. It isn't just the force required to compress the shock, it's the force required to compressed it quickly. The faster the shock is moved, the more force it takes to move it.

All I can say is that they were installed according to the manufacturer's instructions, and used in a normal driving manner. The design simply wasn't up to the task, or perhaps there was a defect. I will be inspecting the other side today to see if there are any signs of stress. Since he has changed the design to make it stronger since this set was made, it seems fair to assume a problem was identified. There are no twisting forces that I can see outside of the normal movement of the axle, which should be minimal.

I appreciate all the comments.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I can vouch for the forces. My original design didn't have the gusset and bent through the axis of the u-bolt holes - as did Cape's design. Gusset bears against axle spring mount box. Drawing in above post is design simplified from actual build - but not built.

screenshot.2216.jpg