• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Door reassembly

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi all,

As I embark upon my reassembly journal, I am putting together my doors while waiting for my mechanic to finish the engine rebuild and drop it into the chassis.

Everything went reasonably well, until putting in the window-glass. It rolls down smoothly for the first third, then it binds up. I can’t quite figure out why/where is is binding. Without the glass the regulator winds reasonably smoothly up and down.

Any thoughts? Did I mix up right/left window regulators? Is perhaps the tie rod installed incorrectly such that it is shifting the channels?

Thanks! I hope all are healthy.
Mike

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
43AAF23B-4FF0-45E3-B258-405D31A92A12.jpg

Picture attached ... no idea why it is upside down (would explain the binding :smile: )... preview looks fine, but I am sending this via my iPhone, and will revisit once in my real computer later this morning.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Mike,
I have no silver bullet for you. But I can add that on my TR4 doors, when I have had a problem like yours, I try a few readjustments and lubrication and seem to work it out without new parts. Most of my problems have been in getting the windows to go up. When it does happen I find that I can reverse the crank until the window seems to free up and then back up it goes. I realize that is not the long term solution that you are looking for. But the readjustment has corrected the problem. Again I can not tell you just what I adjusted. I guess that I was just trying anything and something worked.

Tr6easyrider

Country flag
Are you using new window channels?
Try loosing the two bolts that anchor the channels at the bottom then row the window down. Unhook the tie rod on one side.
If you have new channels try spreading apart the inside of the channel.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Check the arms in the regulator that attach to the window glass. They are not strong, and get bent very easily; it's easy to miss. If they are bent, the glass is cocked and doesn't move freely.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all. Appreciate the ideas! The channels are new, the regulator is original.

Is there a good way to discern left versus right regulator? I unfortunately did not label as well as I should’ve when disassembling :smile:

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The left and right regulators are marked L and R in the figure, below. It's actually possible that I got them right...

reg_1673.jpg
You can see the bent arm on the left one; that's what I was thinking of in my last post.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thank you! I’ll take a look and compare tomorrow. I definitely see the bend on you left one!!

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
So it looks like I have the correct regulator in the door - thanks Steve for the photo!

As Easyrider suggested, if I unhook the tie rod at the bottom, the window goes up and down, but not terribly smoothly. I may take apart the regulator (drill out the rivets) and clean the winding mechanism... I will bend the tie rod slightly to allow the window channels to separate a little more.

More to come... thanks all for the insight!!!

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Just a quick update, have not had much time in the past few weeks. (My wife is back to work, making me the full-time homeschooler, cooker, lunch-maker, PE teacher, and general coraller of the wee ones!)

However, I have decided to disassemble the full window regulator. I'm starting with the passenger side, i.e. not the door I am assembling, as this regulator is out of the car, and I'd like to see how much easier it winds once cleaned up.

So far, I have taken it apart, and there is a ton 'o junk inside the winder. Happy I took it apart, will clean it, and hopefully be able to reassemble (rivets) cleanly.

Will advise as I progress, as well as update photos. But it might be a slow journey.