• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

COVID tasks - today's question photos

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
We are trying to do a little bit every day either to clean the house or sort the house or work on the car (eventually) or whatever.

Lately the subject of photos has come up. We are doing our very best to ignore the pile of prints. (don't worry we thought, we don't need to write the date on the back, we'll remember - :rolleyes:)

Today's question is sorting and editing jpegs. Needless to say we have many and they are everywhere. Is there an easy way to master these? We aren't talking about photoshopping or anything just figuring out what is there and where to put them.

I have seen ads for photostick but don't know anything about them - and it was pointed out to me that unless they are associated with a reputable company they might have malware too.

thoughts?

thanks all
JP

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Passport" drives. Funny you mention old pix. Found a few here a couple days ago:

driveway78-2.jpg
Parent's driveway, 1979. My Cortina, mum's Mustang and dad's Lincoln.

gtv78-2.jpg
My 1750 GTV taken by a pal. 1978.

ken-n-scott-2.jpg
Friends and a Tipo-33 Alfa. 1977. Tragically, Kenny, the lad standing, was killed in a racing shunt in 1982 in a Formula Ford.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And finally found proof I once had a full head of hair!

Mum behind me and her mum on the right. A belated Happy Mother's Day to both, both long gone now.

GranDiC-2.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
you haven't put on a ton of weight either! :grin:

coming back to the original question I get the passport part - is there software or do I just go through pic by pic?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Likely best to do it "onesies" and create directories (folders) to categorize them.

Country flag
I feel for ya, I've go piles that I'm going through as we clean out the folks home. Everytime I think I have them all I find more in out of the way corners. But, the cool part is I have photos from the 1850s of people born in the late 1700s. And enough is labeled I can figure out much of the rest.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP - are you asking about organizing photos? or organizing jpegs that are stored on digital devices?

JPEGS - we will get to the actual printed photos next

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JPEGS - we will get to the actual printed photos next

Thanks. Similar to Doc's suggestion, why not first decide on the topics/subjects you want to use for cataloguing. Then put those names on new folders. Then use Photo to see thumbnails of each file, then drag the file to the appropriate folder.

You're discovering the "new normal" of not having old fashioned scrapbooks with photos pasted on pages, and ID info written under each photo! Heaven knows how future generations will see the memories of today. (Dad - what's a jpeg?)

sample.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I can do this - but didn't know if

1. there is a way to harvest jpegs from a drive as I don't even know where they all are and

2. a way to see them big enough to batch edit (delete all the pics I ever took of what row we were in at Disney - but might not see in a thumbnail)

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JP - I think that's the bane of many digital folks these days. We end up with 1000s of jpegs, but we're reluctant to actually do the work needed to organize them. We desperately seek an "algorithm" to do the work for us so we don't have to look at each photo.

Brooklands (Dave) here does a lot of photo work. He could probably tell you what software he uses for the organizing work.

I remember a guy here who sent me a link to his Photobucket page years ago, to see his "car club pictures". There were over 10000 of them. He started labeling them, but never made it past the first 100. No one else did either.

Tom M.

Last edited:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I never realized how many photos I have accumulated over the years, especially since the digital cameras and cell phone pics, until I tried to organize them. After a few days I gave up, so it's still hunt and pick! Maybe tomorrow??

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - you hit the nail on the head. So easy to press the button and "capture the moment" that we no longer decide what's important to capture.

Last year there were celebrations of the Normandy Invasions (D-Day). Classic warbirds flew over the US capitol. The WW2 veterans present were watching the airplanes overhead. Their children and grand children were all watching the screens of their smartphones. Imagine watching such a powerful show of air power, on a 2x4" screen, while the real airplanes were flying right over you.

yeesh

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well, starting to answer my own question.

After finally figuring out that the Photos app and Google photos aren't the same thing - doh!

I spent some time on the google and feel like photos is at least a start. I can specify folders (including my entire documents folder) and it shows the pics in chronological order.

I haven't yet started making new folders but, did get rid of a ton of cr*p photos, so progress. I figure if I spend 10-15 minutes a day, while watching TV it should take about 97 years to get all organized. :grin:

Oh and you do see the pic big enough to make a decision.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
How about the boxes of ancient photos from a film camera! They are all of the moment and un-replaceable, so I thought I'd buy a photo copier and save them as a digital file, problem there is, I'd have to put it in my will that the grand-kids have to finish the job! Plus, they would have to figure out what each one is about, since I can't remember anyway. :highly_amused:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Gone are the days when you had to make every photo count as you only had 12 on the roll.

We have tubs of photos in the basement and who knows how many on computers.

Not sure if I have enough time left to go through them all.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hundreds of thousands of film images from my previous life's work as a photojournalist. No way could I digitize all of them!