• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chain Saw Thoughts/Ideas?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I would only buy Stihl. when we were cleaning up after Katrina we had some crappy ones (maybe Ryobi but I can't remember except they were light green) we had no end of trouble whereas the Stihl just ran and ran. Make sure you use proper safety gear - you can end up being called 'lefty' in a big hurray.

I might look into having it done - in our world lots of firefighters do tree work in their spare time.

dklawson

Yoda
Stihl is very good. Our family has also had good experiences with Echo.

I hate 2-cycle stuff but it has its place. For your sanity, add the oil to fuel in the right ratio and if you can find it in your area, use ethanol free fuel. It might also help to drain the tank when you are going to put the chainsaw aside for a while.

To locate ethanol free gas in your area visit the Pure Gas website ( https://www.pure-gas.org/ )
However, there are some states where ethanol free is not allowed at all.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Third vote for Stihl.

And repeating the call for safety... a horror movie about chain saws was made for good reason...

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Consumer models of gas chainsaws are generally unreliable, mostly crappy carbs. Carbs are designed to comply with EPA/CARB and they just don't run properly. Adjustments are of little avail. Surely don't buy a used one. I have two Poulan consumer models (neither acquired by purchase). Little used, but still running although they have always been low power. I have a Husky 254, a far superior machine. For trimming, I have a Ryobi 18 volt electric built on a 3 piece extension pole with an 8 inch bar. It is excellent for the trims and could work well for you depending on diameter of your trims.My next saw, though, will probably be and 80 volt electric.Bob

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I used to have Poulan but my Dad borrowed it and by the time he was done with it, wasn't good. But that was a 1980 model. Then 2 yrs ago I bought another. Tell you what, don't buy a newer saw as all the safety stuff is a pain in the U know what.Also.had a Sears lumberjack saw, heavy but cut quick. Stihl is unanimous.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I used to have Poulan but my Dad borrowed it and by the time he was done with it, wasn't good. But that was a 1980 model. Then 2 yrs ago I bought another. Tell you what, don't buy a newer saw as all the safety stuff is a pain in the U know what.Also.had a Sears lumberjack saw, heavy but cut quick. Stihl is unanimous.

and to my earlier post - it was Poulan that we had no luck with not Ryobi - they were a cheap saw from one of the big box stores (they were donated) and we spent more time trying to keep them running than cutting.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Husqvarna chain saws are the best saws I've ever owned! My Rancher is nothing but quality. It's a little on the heavy side, but the most powerful saw I've ever owned, bar none. Expensive, but you get what you pay for! PJ

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Husqvarna will be my next saw. Have some Stihl equipment now and not overly happy with it. The saw is a problem with maintenance. Every few hours it needs attention. Have an Echo as well, but don’t use it much as the bar is too large to use for extended periods of time. Would not recommend a used saw or one with a bar over 16”. Check fleabay for a deal.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have a Stihl that is 25 years old and it still runs great. on the 4 bar and an unknown number of chains.

If you are doing trimming an electric saw on a stick works great. Safety gear is a great idea.
If you only have a little work to do hiring it our may be the cheapest way in the long run and they will clear up the mess.

David

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Stilhl first, then husqvarna, and echo has been good to my dad on the farm. We have stihl everything at work and I doubt anyone can be harder on equipment than us.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Id just hire someone to do it
:iagree:

Unless you're planning to continue doing this (branches don't grow fast), might as well use the money to hire someone experienced.

And using a chainsaw while up on a ladder can be "interesting".

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I hired a treeman to take down a 30' walnut. Cut, and felled and hauled small stuff $400. Brought him back to trim ice broken limbs 2 yrs straight $200 ea time. Last time had all oak branches cut to clear canapy to 25', $500 because limbs over garage. He's retired now, but a lot safer and quicker. To save money I kept wood and cut for campfires. Used electric chaisaw on big stuff and reciprocating saw on everything else. No ladder for me.

dklawson

Yoda
I hired a treeman to take down a 30' walnut. Cut, and felled and hauled small stuff $400.

On your initial and subsequent jobs was the tree man getting nice hardwoods and agreeing to take them away as scrap?

My trees are pines and Bradford Pears. I've been charged over $500 to trim a single Bradford Pear and I paid $750 to have a tall pine removed after a lightning strike. I am sure prices are regional and if the wood is desirable they may give you a break on pricing. However, for me... a couple of uses of the chainsaw paid for its cost.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
No, hauled off and burned, used in his furnace. Walnut was taken down because I did not want to be responsible for the Emerald Green Borer, which if my tree got I would have to cut down everybody's trees within 1500' and burn. Oak limbs too small for wood. 4" and smaller. I did buy a new chainsaw. While cutting up my 8x8s that were my wife's pond base, my electric saw cooked itself. Was 20 yrs old, not bad for electric.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have a Stihl that is 25 years old and it still runs great. on the 4 bar and an unknown number of chains.

If you are doing trimming an electric saw on a stick works great. Safety gear is a great idea.
If you only have a little work to do hiring it our may be the cheapest way in the long run and they will clear up the mess.

David

Or,I could just wait for you to move near here,& borrow yours?