• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tubes in steel wheels?

bikesandcars

Freshman Member
Step 1 for getting my 1960 TR3 back on the road is new tires.

This is probably a silly question, but for tubeless tires do factory TR3 Steel wheels take tubes?

If so which do you recommend?

If not what valve stems do you recommend?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello bikesandcars

The TR3 steel wheels do fine with tubeless tires. Not sure about the valve stems. I just had the tire shop use what they normally use. It would be worth checking that the rims run true by mounting each wheel in turn on a front axle and spinning it to check for run out. I went through a few rims before I found a good set. Tire size is important if you plan to have a full size spare.

This is the tire size I used and it just fits in the spare wheel compartement.

David
Tire size.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, tubeless works fine. I just used standard rubber valve stems that you pull through. I also measured run-out: all were within spec but the worst one became the spare and the two best went on the front.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe. That isn't always necessary over the life (age) span of the tires - my thought was to at least have the best wheels at the front most of the time. In any case my spare would not rotate as it is always the best tire from the most recently replaced set.

OP
B

bikesandcars

Freshman Member
Thanks! I ordered 165HR-15 VREDESTEIN SPRINT CLASSIC tires from tire rack. They are 165/80. Same size as what was on there.

Gonna mount them myself and use dads old static balancer from his shop to be period correct :smile:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I was going to powder coat my wheels but sprayed them when I priced powder coating locally at $125.00 per wheel. That was the price even though I had them sand blasted ready for coating. Should have known by their advert "Pimp Your Wheels"
The spray finish looks great.

David

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, $125 seems a but much. Mine were $75 apiece including sandblasting. Went with a color very close to the original Spa White. Spray silver holds up pretty good but white paint is difficult to keep looking nice with brake dust and such.

OP
B

bikesandcars

Freshman Member
Good choice IMO. Last time around I had the wheels powder coated which both looks good and simplifies maintenance.

I'm debating what to do for wheel paint. Right now the car is a time capsule, original and never restored but showing some age.

Not sure I even want to paint the wheels yet. They were the period silver, a little rough right now.

I just want to replace the rotted rubber, make sure the wear items like brakes are good and drive it a bit.

OP
B

bikesandcars

Freshman Member
I've decided to paint the wheels, she deserves some nicer sneakers.

I need to get my shop set up but I have a compressor / blast cabinet, maybe this is a good reason to get that done and get these done.

I'll probably use VHT rattle can, I have a spray gun but not sure I want to load it / clean it if rattle can will hold up.

I'll use Argent Silver. I assume the original finish was single-stage (no clear). Any recommendations for if I should clear coat them and what sheen to use? (gloss?)

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_081609788 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20200514_081609788 (Medium).jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 63

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Back when I painted some steels wheels I used (the redundantly named) Argent Silver in a can followed by a clear gloss. I likes the result and it may have been easier to keep clean that it would have w/o the clear coat.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
My rattle can wheels with no clear coat a year+ on the road, 1500 miles. No special treatment except washing off with soap and water.

David

Wheel e.jpg

OP
B

bikesandcars

Freshman Member
Thanks for sharing! I shopped around for some quotes: $130 a wheel for refinishing!!!! I'll save that money for new mini-lites down the road.

It's looking like I'll do the VHT argent silver and gloss clear.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I used Eastwood primer, Argent silver, and clearcoat rattle can 15 years ago and it has held up well. It is time for a refresh, though...