• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Only starts when being jumped

John-Glen

Freshman Member
Hello Everyone,
My 1972 TR6 is having dificulties waking from its winter slumber. It will only start when jumped from another vehicle. I tried 3 different batteries all same result. It would then run on its own but die when I removed the ground from the negative terminal. While running it would show higher charging voltage though. Just bought a new battery today as old one had bin in there for 12 years. Installed then put key in ignition and nothing happens at all, no lights, no guages no starter nothing. I have 12.6 volts at battery, at starter post, at ampmeter and at ignition switch. That's as far as I have gotten. If I pull wires from the ignition switch and leave the Brown/White from ampmeter connected and connect one white wire I get the brake warning light to work. When I connect the White/Red to starter and turn key brake warning light goes away but nothing else happens.
Any suggestions or ideas?
Cheers,
John-Glen

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
John - a couple thoughts.

1. bad grounding strap(s).
2. voltage regulator fried
3. bad battery cables
4. is the new battery fully charged?
5. is the generator/alternator functioning right?

When you say it won't start unless jumped - do you mean the starter won't turn unless car is jumped?

With all in place, how does the horn sound? Turn the headlights on and start the engine. Do the headlights really dim when the starter turns?

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I agree with Tom. The first thing I would check is the ground strap. Maybe remove and clean the ends of the strap and reinstall. Check with a continuity meter to make sure you have a good ground. Let us know how you make out.

OP
John-Glen

John-Glen

Freshman Member
Thanks for the quick replies, when I say it won't start unless jumped: I mean that I get nothing, absolutely nothing with battery in car. When I connect a jumper from running vehicle battery posts to battery posts everything works. Lights, guages, hazards, starter, everything.
Cheers,
John-Glen

dklawson

Yoda
Clean and inspect the main battery cables and their terminals. Since the battery is new and you said it was charged to 12.6V, look for problems with those main cables and their connections. If nothing else you should be able t get the headlights to work since they do not involve the ignition switch.

As a footnote.... In college I had a roommate who owned an AMC Gremlin that would NOT start unless we connected 3 cars to his via jumper cables. We couldn't figure it out so the car went off to a shop where they promptly diagnosed the problem as corrosion of the main cables UNDER the vinyl insulation. The cables were full of corrosion byproducts... not copper.

OP
John-Glen

John-Glen

Freshman Member
I removed and cleaned all main cable ends, still nothing... Will run some cable parallel to see if that helps next.
Cheers,
John-Glen

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Disconnect the ground, then clean all connections at the starter solenoid, all power runs through there, you have have resistance that can only be overcome by extra juice from another battery. I had a similar problem years ago. Car and all electrics would die, it was intermittent, PITA to figure out, but easy fix.

OP
John-Glen

John-Glen

Freshman Member
Thanks everyone, it ended up being the main power cable from battery to starter. Will need to replace. Lots of corrosion on all electrical connections as well, spent a lot of time cleaning today. Time to order some parts for tune-up anyway. Then will need to pass TÃœV again here in Germany and all is good for another 2 years.
Cheers,
John-Glen

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Enjoy the drive! :driving:

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks everyone, it ended up being the main power cable from battery to starter.

Sounds just like the problem I mentioned in my last post. Corrosion can hide in many places!

I'm glad you got it figured out!