• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

V-E Day - May 8, 1945

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Seventy five years ago today -

The cease fire agreed on May 7 takes effect in Europe, 11:01pm Berlin time, May 8.

Interesting story about why that hour was chosen:

https://www.dw.com/en/may-8-1945-was-zero-hour-for-germany-in-multiple-ways/a-53352628

Zero Hour begins - in so many different ways.

Keitel signs the final surrender document:

Bild%20183-R77797_web.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting article.

I had seen a movie about the Rubble Women and how they helped to dig its way out using little more than their hands and hand carts.

David

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I remember where I was on VE Day. I was on my screen porch with my cousin Mark playing a pinball machine my uncle (his father) - a prosecuting attorney in town - had seized from a local bar where it was being used to gamble with. I was 11 1/2 years old at the time.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
My friend, a B-17 radioman, was lying in the grass at his base in Chelveston when the surrender was announced. The song that was playing on the P.A. at the time as "There I've Said it Again" by Vaughn Monroe. When he heard the song, he thought it was the most beautiful song ever written, and clearly its association with the end of the war has stuck with him.

Six days later, on May 14th, his crew was one of about 200 B-17s selected to pick up American POWs in Barth. He said that mission was the most meaningful and most memorable of all of the missions he flew.

He made it home on the Queen Mary in September 1945. He was one of about 350 AAF personnel nestled in among the 15,000 members of the 35th Infantry Division, the "Santa Fe Division", who didn't particularly like the flyboys very much. He quipped that him and his fellow AAF airmen were quite lucky to not have been thrown overboard. By coincidence, one of the 15,000 members of the 35th Infantry Division was the subject of another research project I was working on. Funny how people who really had no reason to cross paths did so. I've had that happen with a couple of other individuals as well.