• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tonight's job - sewing machines.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The good. SWMBO has a fancy embroidering sewing machine. She has been sewing masks except her bobbin winder has cr*pped out. (A known flaw apparently, on a machine that 18 years ago cost similar to a used car! - annoying) At any rate after many attempts and trying to enlist friends, today we hooked the bobbin up to my cordless drill and ' Bob's your uncle.' Better wound than the machine ever did. Huzzah!

Then to the garage to begin dismantling this:

sewing.jpg

A vintage Viking Sewing machine. I got it for free and even though I managed to get it working, only ever partially it is time for it to go. Learning to sew is pretty high on my todo list even though it hasn't been todone. (I have a proper industrial machine in the basement)

At any rate I am recycling the motor to use on a scroll saw for my daughter.

I must admit I was genuinely sad to be taking it apart. Sadder in a way even than a car as it isn't rusty, it isn't broken, it is just obsolete. But what a precision thing of beauty. No rivets, plastic, plastic clips just gorgeous machine screws - slotted all of them. Beautiful castings, lovely retro paint and an almost steampunk like mechanism to make it all work (cams and cogs and all sorts of wonderment). I have a little bowl of screws but will likely end up throwing it all away as I really can't think of a good reason to keep anything but the motor.

It's sad. And I know that in terms of usability the new ones are better and easier and much more versatile but you can't beat the old ones for just heavy beautiful precision construction.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can understand and sympathize, JP. Mits has a couple "new" machines, A Husqvarna Viking I've used for rudimentary stitching, hemming pant-legs and such. It intimidates me. And a New Home "serger" I don't go near. I built a sewing table for her Singer many years ago and that one I can understand. I got the "Workshop Manual" for it and with that machine, I'm bonded. :wink:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I have sewn in the past but not so much in the last 20 years. The few people I have talked to about the machines are that the new ones don't last very long. I learned on my mom's Bernina. Saw one at a repair shop for $650. No doubt more expensive now than when new.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I can understand and sympathize, JP. Mits has a couple "new" machines, A Husqvarna Viking I've used for rudimentary stitching, hemming pant-legs and such. It intimidates me. And a New Home "serger" I don't go near. I built a sewing table for her Singer many years ago and that one I can understand. I got the "Workshop Manual" for it and with that machine, I'm bonded. :wink:

Mrs JP's is a Husqvarna Viking - and it does embroidery etc etc. Still uses 3 1/2 in floppies! so we have a stash and an old IBM laptop. (was there ever a floppy on one end with a USB plug on the other like the old 'convert a cassette player to plug in a portable MP3 player?)

I have learned 2 things. 1. Husqvarna used a non standard bobbin so you can't wind one on another machine. (we got the one I am dismantling out of the basement to see if we could) and 2. Apparently hers is a machine worth keeping because after it, Husqvarna was sold, was no longer made in Sweden and quality plummeted. So turns out there are comparisons to cars. who knew? :rolleyes:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Depends on your time, the Viking has a following and probably can be repaired. My wife has 21 sewing machines. Only 3 are new with the computer screens. She has a few treadle Singers, Featherweight, 15-91 that can do thick leather (and fingers), and a bunch if the vintage 50s Neechi machine. Three in excellent condition and more need cleaning, oiling and motors cleaned. The oldest is a 1900 Wilcox and Gibbs, which I have disassemble last year, for renewing, which is sitting under my Jag MK1 I am trying to find the time to restore along with getting Valiant running. So, if you have the time, it can be fixed, just don't put a time frame on it, especially when she has a main machine.

dklawson

Yoda
It is sad to see your Viking "go to pieces". At least you have some good plans for it.

We have two machines at the moment. A disassembled Singer treadle-type (grandmother-in-law's), and a Husquvarna Fresia. Twenty-five years ago the Husquvarna took the place of a vintage 1984 Singer which had rudimentary electronics that failed.

I learned on my Mom's Singer and used what she taught me to sew a couple of headliners and other bits of vinyl car trim. I have also sewn borders onto trunk/boot carpets, and floormats. Sure beats the heck out of doing that by hand. However, I sometimes wish we had an industrial machine for the heavy tasks.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My wife is looking for an industrial. She hasn't bought one yet, but has looked at a few. She complains about the cost, but I'm sure it is because she doesn't want to do the seats in the Valiant (that she said she could do). I'll take the seats in and she'll find one.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used to sew all my own gear back in 99 and early 2000s. Used the big Consew machines in the rigging loft. Owned one for a few years then gave it to a buddy. I've got a smaller Consew now and from time to time can be found winding bobbins and stitching up a few things. I do enjoy it and the finished products are never as good as store bought pieces in looks, but they have never fallen apart!!!!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I would like to do my own, but too many cars and no room in garage. Would have to go in an old basement that gets wet with 2" rain. Wife is out of room in house. She wants me to do pinstriping but I am not looking for a job.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would like to do my own, but too many cars and no room in garage. Would have to go in an old basement that gets wet with 2" rain. Wife is out of room in house. She wants me to do pinstriping but I am not looking for a job.

I've always wanted to learn pinstriping and airbrush stuff... someday I guess.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Someday came quick for me, don't know if I have time for all the projects. If the C doesn't get me might make it.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I went with the Wife to a quilt shop.They had a couple of
machines there.One was about $7500,& the others were even more.
She has a friend who has one that takes up a whole garage.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I went with the Wife to a quilt shop.They had a couple of
machines there.One was about $7500,& the others were even more.
She has a friend who has one that takes up a whole garage.

I know! some are crazy - though I swear that a utility machine is no more expensive than they were 35 years ago when we got Mrs JP's Janome. (same with bicycles and guitars)

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks Tom. I have one of these, I need the opposite - a disk that inserts and a USB tail that hangs out - like the cassette with the headphone jack on the end.
I've never heard of that. What are you trying to achieve?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've never heard of that. What are you trying to achieve?

adapt my wife's sewing machine without surgery. It uses 3 1/2 inch floppies right now - and we have a stockpile, but if I had something I could insert in the 3 1/2" drive that gave me a USB end it would be so much easier. Wistful thinking I suspect.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My wife went to a Husqvarna? (sp ) dealer and the machines were $25K-$35K for the quilting machines. Wife was looking for an upgrade, I was comfortable with $3K-$4K, but a lady come in and was buying her third machine at $35K. She said she sew and quilts for church and grandkids and needed a third machine.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My wife went to a Husqvarna? (sp ) dealer and the machines were $25K-$35K for the quilting machines. Wife was looking for an upgrade, I was comfortable with $3K-$4K, but a lady come in and was buying her third machine at $35K. She said she sew and quilts for church and grandkids and needed a third machine.

WOW! :scared: Thank goodness that doesn't happen in the old car hobby! :Grin:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wife has a "decent" Bernina about 5 years old. I say decent because it only cost $1000. She also has several older machine that she doesn't use any more, Including a pretty nice White from Sears about 1960. I have a Thompson walking foot that I use for upholstery. It's the same machine that Sail Rite sells for more money. I also have a National Two-Spool treadle machine that I used to upholster the Prefect the first time in about 1963. It is unique in that it uses a full spool of thread instead of having to wind a bobbin.