• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Getting young people involved in the Car Hobby

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I saw that this morning and now I intend to speak to my son about giving the car keys to his 5-year olds. :glee:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I love this story. Much older than the above 5 year old, but impressive.
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/15-year-old-steals-bus-drives-its-route/

Fun. Many years ago on New Year's eve, a friend's grandmother was riding home on a TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) the driver stopped at a phone booth to call his wife and wish her Happy New Year. I guess he took too long as she took the bus and drove the rest of the way home. She parked the bus around the corner and walked the rest of the way home.

Mind you this same woman also accidentally drove through the neighbour's fence and when the neighbour started yelling, she rolled down the window and said you're just lucky I'm not in your GD pool and backed out. My friend told me the body shop ordered parts for her car in advance. :grin:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I drove my dad's Chrysler New Yorker at 15, my brother at 14 and my daughter was caught at age 14 with two cousins in the car.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I drove my dad's Chrysler New Yorker at 15, my brother at 14 and my daughter was caught at age 14 with two cousins in the car.

my dad would occasionally let me drive to church starting at about 11 years of age.

Mrs JP's dad would let the kids drink underage at home preferring to let them learn there.

When we had kids in their early teens, Mrs JP didn't want me to let them drive underage - and I didn't want her to let them drink underage so. the comrpmise would have been to let them drink and drive .... underage. :grin: (it didn't happen)

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
PS my son is 32 and while he can drive he still doesn't have a driver's license and, living in Toronto has no interest in getting one.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WOOF! As I've said for decades; "It happens in an eye-blink!" No better demonstration than back in 1977 or '78, when a gathering of fellow Elan owners were getting ready to watch an F-1 race. It was suggested someone make a trip to the local convenience store for some chips 'n sauce. A neighbor of one of the guys asked if he could 'borrow' the fellow's Elan to make the run, got permission but also the admonition that he should NOT drive with any risky behavior and: "Remember! Doc says it happens in an eye-blink! No showing off." The kid took a pal with him and tragically, he did something stupid. Lost control and flipped the Elan into a ditch, beheading his passenger. Hard lesson.

In an odd splash of irony, that S-1 Elan had been my first ride in one, back in 1965. It then belonged to its first owner, and while I was the typical Corvette fan-boy 14-year-old, it attracted me with its uniqueness. He offered me a ride and my fate was sealed. Determined then and there I would own one of those cars one day.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Actually the first time I "drove" a car was when I was about 5 years old. My dad let me sit on his lap and steer while we drove up Haig Ave. and I turned the wheel into Crestview Ave. and our 1936 Pontiac headed up the hill towards our home street. With my friend Steve Osman, we also pretended to drive his mother's 1938 DeSoto, steering and shifting gears while she was inside our house playing cards with my mother.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I don't know if I really remember this or have just have been told but I do know I had a seat like this - start early!

car seat.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK not necessarily young people but you got to post somewhere right? As many are aware street racing and stunt driving are on a major uptick in these strange days. Today Mrs JP & I were out driving (North on HWY 6 at Clappison's Cut if you must know) and there on the downhill side was at least four tow trucks lights a flashing. Drove past and, Oh my someone has lost control and hit a concrete barrier - a barrier which runs parallel to the road - so driver was at 90 deg to the roadway. So of course I have to ogle - and yup, that would be a yellow Ferrari I see. Guy was not having a great day.