• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Necessity is the mother of invention

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
There is no possible way to get those pistons into the cylinders. Tried both can style and pliers style compressors. The latter is the way to go because my (cheap) can style compressor would rotate the ring gaps as I tightened it. Even with a decent pliers style compressor I could not keep that thin oil scraper ring from peeking out below the compressor and halting my progress.

Finally I got one installed with home made addition to the tool, picture below.

I wish there were some non adjustable tapered compressors like for small block Chevy, the pistons virtually fall into the cylinders with those.

Five more to go, mañana cuz it’s whiskey time.

Attachments

• 8637113D-391A-42E6-8E97-A81A111DABA3.jpg
    8637113D-391A-42E6-8E97-A81A111DABA3.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 118

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
That looks like a good set up. I remember fitting the pistons on my first rebuild without any tool at all, but so long ago I don't recall exactly how I did it. I have had pretty good luck with the can style compressor I acquired later, though it still seem to takes little finesse to get them in.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
If the pistons are used, are the ring lands free of carbon? Are the ring end gaps properly filed? if 3 piece oil rings, are the waffle pieces installed so you can see the different paint spots at the ends? I worry about breaking rings when the fit is tight.
Bob

Martin Secrest

I am impressed by your determination and by that beautiful clean block of British iron. Go on and combust with your bad self.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I’ve had problems before when installing pistons and my machine shop/engine builder came out to my house to give me advice. He positions everything using the can style compressor with the piston lubed and gives it a sharp hit with the butt of a rubber hammer handle. Easy peasy...
Rut

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
That looks like a good set up. I remember fitting the pistons on my first rebuild without any tool at all, but so long ago I don't recall exactly how I did it. I have had pretty good luck with the can style compressor I acquired later, though it still seem to takes little finesse to get them in.

The can style would have worked except they rotate those end gaps out of position as you tighten it down.

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
If the pistons are used, are the ring lands free of carbon? Are the ring end gaps properly filed? if 3 piece oil rings, are the waffle pieces installed so you can see the different paint spots at the ends? I worry about breaking rings when the fit is tight.
Bob

They are new pistons, .020 over, weight matched, from Wishbone, who also supplied the Hastings rings. The ends of the waffle pieces look like a couple hands together in praying position, pointed up toward top of piston.

OP
nichola

nichola

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
I’ve had problems before when installing pistons and my machine shop/engine builder came out to my house to give me advice. He positions everything using the can style compressor with the piston lubed and gives it a sharp hit with the butt of a rubber hammer handle. Easy peasy...
Rut

Rut, I had a text message ready to send to the machine shop, but decided to try the mechanical assist first, holding that compressor down so the bottom oil scraper would not pop out. Also had to fiddle with (grind) the bottom of the compressor where the squeezing mechanism is riveted/welded to the “can.” It was so thick there that it was hard to seat it into the recess at the top of the cylinder... mine’s a ‘73.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Did you put the rings in the cylinders before installation and check the end gaps? The fact that they are new doesn't change the need for this step.
Bob