• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's that upside down " i " grandpa?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm going through withdrawal right now (as we all are) not being able to see/hold my twin five year old grandkids. Yesterday I read my grandson an interactive book via a program called Caribu. We can see each other and I can read him a book of his choice and he gets to turn the page.
Yesterday I was reading him a "Thomas the Train" book. On one page there was a helicopter towing a red banner. After reading the banner to him my grandson said: "What's that upside down "i" grandpa?"
I scanned the page but could not see what he was talking about so I asked him where he sees it?
He told me "it's at the end of the red banner"
Sure enough there was an exclamation mark at the end of the sentence on the banner.
I did my best to explain to him that it was not an upside down i, but rather an exclamation mark.
I laugh every time I think about it!

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot - for a five year old to recognize an "upside i " - that's a pretty smart kid!

Tom M.
Thanks for the compliment Tom.... He's so bright his mother calls him sun :cool:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Children are a reflection of their parents and the dedication involved. Reminds me of my granddaughter. Her mom started reading to her from the very beginning, months old. My wife would read to her when she was at our house from little child books and when she was about three, she had memorized everything read to her in those little books. When people would come over she would ask them if they wanted her to read to them and of course nobody thought she could do that at three years old but said yes! She would open one of her books and would recite every word per page after page, those who didn't know her were amazed that she could read, not knowing she could only recognize a few words by actually reading them. We used to get a kick out of it! Today she is a school teacher in State Collage, Pa, has 2 children of her own and reads to them constantly when together. Love and dedication to our children is so important, it carries on with them for many years to come. Her husband, a collage grad also, does the same thing, constantly reacting with the children. :encouragement:

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Five year old Grandson "I need a screwdriver"
My Son "Why?"
Five year old Grandson "I am doing something that requires a screwdriver"
My Son "What?"
Five year old Grandson "Trust me"

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My Son "Why?"
My Son "What?"
I would trust him :rolleye:
You need to get him his own tools including a socket set and maybe a drill then he doesn’t have to ask.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Reading to kids early is pivotal. They learn there is stuff they want to know in words. Words on a page or screen. Develops the desire to learn to read for themselves.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Reading to kids early is pivotal. They learn there is stuff they want to know in words. Words on a page or screen. Develops the desire to learn to read for themselves.
:iagree: :bow:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My Son "Why?"
My Son "What?"

OMG, that could have been my grandson.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul's story of his granddaughter reading at that age brought back a wonderful memory of my daughter at about 3. She had a favorite book, "There's a Monster at the End of This Book", Sesame Street. She always wanted us to read it to her. If you ever skipped a page or even a word, she was quick to correct you. She couldn't read at all but she had that book memorized, word-for word. Children at that age have an amazing ability to absorb and learn. It's a shame we lose that ability.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
OMG, that could have been my grandson.

Fun, aren't they. The other day he asked his dad for the nail gun and paint. He said he was building a fort in his room.

Country flag
My brother's kids are all voracious readers, particularly the 18yo middle niece. When in school she used to be referred to by parents who didn't know her name as "that girl with the book" since if she wasn't participating in some activity she'd most likely be in a corner somewhere with one propped on her knees. When tested in 3rd grade she outdid all but half a dozen juniors and seniors for reading comprehension. Was really tough when she was young finding things that challenged her but weren't too age inappropriate.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My parents found that old books struck the right balance of being challenging without being inappropriate. I fell in love with and read a lot of Jules Verne in the second grade as a result. My daughter likes things like the Redwall series and when she was younger The Wind in the Willows. She's in the fifth grade so I believe that it is time to introduce her to Tolkien this summer.