• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Speedometer Routing

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am in the late stages on the complete restoration of my 54 TR-2 Long Door. I am getting ready to order the tach and speedometer cables. The tach routing is pretty easy. Roadster factory says the speedometer cable in 93" long. I have a overdrive transmission and know where each end goes. It's the routing that I can't find any pic's or schematics on.

If you have anything that would help me route this "Snake" please let me know.

Dick

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's the engine bay end on late TR3. I believe the cable shield was black on a TR2 My engine bay2019-L.jpg

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The cable is the grey cable running along in front of the battery and then through the hole in the firewall? I assume it's routed from the transmission with clips up the inner fender?

Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It's all here, starting post #52. I know the photos are dark, but all the speedo cable routing and clips are eventually shown in this one post. If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?108693-Recipe-for-a-TR2/page2

The gist is...out from tranny to inside C member of the frame. Forward to the right side of the tunnel and up with a clip inside the heater fitting. 2 clips along front of battery box and turn into a through grommet to the interior. Then forward to the gage.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's all here, starting post #52. I know the photos are dark, but all the speedo cable routing and clips are eventually shown in this one post. If you have any questions, feel free to ask...

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?108693-Recipe-for-a-TR2/page2

The gist is...out from tranny to inside C member of the frame. Forward to the right side of the tunnel and up with a clip inside the heater fitting. 2 clips along front of battery box and turn into a through grommet to the interior. Then forward to the gage.

John,

All I saw on the pic's was front brake stuff??

Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Post #52, about mid way through the post. There is a lot of info in post #52. If you skim down every clip and section is eventually shown. Like i said, I apologize for the dark Green with no contrast! I can brighten any pics you need better detail.

Unfortunately all these pics were on photobucket, which won't let me re-post them. I will try to reassemble the cable photos when I get back to my hard drive so I can re-post via Imgur.

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Post #52, about mid way through the post. There is a lot of info in post #52. If you skim down every clip and section is eventually shown. Like i said, I apologize for the dark Green with no contrast! I can brighten any pics you need better detail.

Unfortunately all these pics were on photobucket, which won't let me re-post them. I will try to reassemble the cable photos when I get back to my hard drive so I can re-post via Imgur.

Thanks John, I think I have an idea the route takes. I can now see why it is so long.

Dick

carpecursusII

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ill throw a different opinion out there. Here are two Tr2s, no OD, that have a different routing. The red car is TS 5265 found in very original condition and the white car is TS3285 also in original condition.

Attachments

• speedo cable 2.jpg
    speedo cable 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 179
  • speedo cable.jpg
    speedo cable.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 173

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Different route altogether for non overdrive, if you look at my photo you can see the brake pipe going forward and through a large grommet in the chassis , the speedo cable goes through the same grommet then up the firewall across in front of the battery box and through a grommet behind the speedo.

Graham
P1010148.jpeg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
OK...as promised. I am using my pre-build photos, so you have more definition. But here goes the entire run...

BpDqsDm.jpg

D00Tfjs.jpg

So here we start with the end of the cable where it plugs into the OD tail section. It comes straight out, under the floor where the handbrake boot is located and curves forward.

kSfo5lP.jpg

PGefRad.jpg

Now you see it passing through the section of frame with the brake line (and grommet as everyone mentioned. This allows it to come back inboard towards the starter.

13PsH7U.jpg

Here it is along the starter. Time to add the body to the pictures....

RnufiKz.jpg

AlwfNte.jpg

yBLV8mN.jpg

Here the cable is held with a brass clip to the firewall, very close to the tunnel. The screw is the same one that holds the RHD steering column blanking plate. It is now going to turn across the firewall to the driver's side.

i7w0xBI.jpg

Another brass clip at battery center brings it over to the driver's side.

OBxqCe7.jpg

And to wrap up the run, it turns and enters the pax cabin through a grommet right in front of the speedo.

Hopefully this will clear it up!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
She is a very lucky car. If it were any other owner, or any other time in my life she would have gone to the crusher. All the pain of restoration has faded and she pays it back by making me smile every time I drive her. I've owned a lot of cars, but she gets more waves and honks than all the others combined. The frustration is worth it in the end!