• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So ... what's up?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In this "interesting" time, I wondered what:

- books we're reading
- sites we're browsing
- broken things we're fixing
- stuff we're painting, oiling, greasing, cleaning
- people we're helping
- charities we're supporting

giphy.gif

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I was on my roof yesterday checking all the downspouts. We are getting about 3” of rain right now. I did find one downspout that was filled with debris, so I’m glad I got it cleaned out.
Tom- You should get what we are experiencing tomorrow.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had our storms overnight yesterday. Brought a good sized branch from an oak tree down onto the roof, sounded like an amplified bass drum! No damage to the hovel but it sure did get my attention. Cool and dry now, will likely get up there and do the limb removal, clear off some leaves and clean out the gutters. Mitsy worked her tail off yesterday in the back yard, cleaning up all the windfall and using the weed whacker to chew up a lot of the growth from a winter of neglect.

Doing do diligence with my "continuing education" in kitchen skills, just finished making a noodle dough and a pie dough, now 'resting' inna fridge, for making each after the roof job.

And I've been successfully making piles of 'stuff' in the garage to classify what goes and what stays, in anticipation of getting a "PODS" unit set down in front to clear the place to bare walls.

This quarantine thing is tiring!

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've been getting caught up on car projects and other projects. Sprite starting to look like a car again. Moving in 2 months so also packing things up slowly and also trying to figure out what's staying and what's going with us on the move back to Memphis area.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just finished part1 of a trilogy by Rick Atkinson called "An Army at Dawn" about how we almost got our butts kicked in N. Africa at the start of the our European war.
Would have really changed the dynamics

Also doing this
Fron t Paint.jpg

And I finished putting this in with the overhead vent
6 Burner.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Don - have you read Eisenhower's "Crusade in Europe"? Also gives lots of details on the North Africa campaign. I recently learned (Hamilton's "The Mantle of Command") that the North Africa invasion was originally FDR's idea from before we entered the War - had no idea about that.

Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Still hard at work - which is exhausting. Events like this don't change us, they magnify what is already there. So any cracks are now fissures. People that others have 'put up with' are now intolerable and those who were good and kind are more so.

Reading Obliquity by John Kay (London School of Economics) makes the point that sometimes (usually) the best way to a goal is not the direct way. That companies that make making money their goal usually make less money than companies that make the love of their product or the service of people or (insert reason here) their goal. Current chapter is on the futility of inferring causes from outcomes - hmm I wish I could think of a real life example. :smile:

Doing some house work - finishing a wall in the basement (which is more of a cellar) and getting it mudded.

Oh and the replacement stove igniter arrived today after I broke one thoroughly cleaning the stove (doh!)

Then there is the skunk we are trying to evict from under the shed - are the animals taking over there as here?

And I am the designated shopper. SWMBO has decided I am the expendable one.

Not getting much car work done though. Sigh.

I do find I am a lot more tired and focus remains an issue. what was I talking about?

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don - have you read Eisenhower's "Crusade in Europe"? Also gives lots of details on the North Africa campaign. I recently learned (Hamilton's "The Mantle of Command") that the North Africa invasion was originally FDR's idea from before we entered the War - had no idea about that.

Tom M.

Haven't read that
My next Bio will be Rampage by James Scott
MacArthur,Yama****a and the battle of Manila

That"s funny, The censor blocked out part of Yamasheeta (SIC to get it by)

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
We picked blueberries today at a local farm. Huge area with many pickers. Most of the berries were at eye height or a little below so no stooping. Tonight for dessert - blueberries with sour cream. $5 per pound.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Still hard at work - which is exhausting. Events like this don't change us, they magnify what is already there. So any cracks are now fissures. People that others have 'put up with' are now intolerable and those who were good and kind are more so.

Very well said, JP.

Working here, too. I agree that it is exhausting these days. I'm incredibly proud of my team (I run the tech department at a public school) but we're all pretty worn out. Still happy to have work.

My release has been going out to the shop and making progress on the cars. Got Maggie the Minor back on the road and working hard to get the MGB back together. It's a wonderfully non-digital activity.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
We picked blueberries today at a local farm. Huge area with many pickers. Most of the berries were at eye height or a little below so no stooping. Tonight for dessert - blueberries with sour cream. $5 per pound.
Was it really $5/lb? When I was a kid, we picked strawberries for my mom's jam at a local farm. One in the basket, one in the mouth. I was not weighed before and after going into the field.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Don said:
That"s funny, The censor blocked out part of Yamasheeta (SIC to get it by)

"Yamash'TA" would work, too. :wink:

Da 'mits went down Miami-way in late March for a week to visit her mum. Went to a ma-n-pa Italian grocer's place, they normally supply local restaurants with fresh produce. The restaurants had all been shut down the day before. She got a ten pound bag of broccoli for a fin, split it up among three families. I made quiche with it, steamed some, ate some raw in salad. It stayed viable 'til the last of it was put into two pounds of Navy beans and ham for soup four days ago. Deee-lish! I'm bulkin' up, just in case in six months all that will be available is catfood. :smirk:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Was it really $5/lb? When I was a kid, we picked strawberries for my mom's jam at a local farm. One in the basket, one in the mouth. I was not weighed before and after going into the field.

a couple years ago I was in the Muskokas north of Toronto - they had a 5 quart basket of wild blueberries for $199.00 - no we didn't get it

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
After a month of being stuck in various states of quarantine I have taken apart the motor on my retractable awning to find out why it wasn't working. Idiot installer put the motor in with the wire facing up so all the rainwater dripped into the motor controller. About 1 quart of rusty water came spilling out of the motor.

Then I repainted the flower boxes.. and now I have gotten to the point where I reground the tips of my screw drivers last week... by hand.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Then I repainted the flower boxes.. and now I have gotten to the point where I reground the tips of my screw drivers last week... by hand."

Getting close to counting your socks, and sorting by thread count?

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You guys are all more than welcome to visit my house if you're bored and need something to do. Just dont get upset when you see 2 British cars with Chevy engines:highly_amused:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
You guys are all more than welcome to visit my house if you're bored and need something to do. Just dont get upset when you see 2 British cars with Chevy engines:highly_amused:

Careful - you may find a couple dozen guys turn up, who want to change those engines. :devilgrin:

So, what's keeping you busy these days?

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Careful - you may find a couple dozen guys turn up, who want to change those engines. :devilgrin:

So, what's keeping you busy these days?

Mainly working on getting stuff ready for this upcoming move to Memphis. Also been doing work on the sprite, getting a new bonnet stitched on and cleaning up stuff. Making it nice. Last time I change it up, I swear:welcoming: Triumph GT6 coming together nicely as well.