• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Control Head/Stator tube orientation

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm confused, which seems to be a natural state lately. According to the service manual and what I've read on other threads, the slot in the stator should be at 12 o'clock; however, when you look at the dimples on the control head stem from behind they are at about 4 o'clock. I thought those dimples were suppose to go in the slot in the stator and would hold the turn signal cancellation in place for it to activate after a turn. I have a second control head stem and the dimples are in the same place on it. Where am I wrong??? What are each of their orientations? Help!!!

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here is the correct orientation:
Bob

IMG_7314.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sounds like you've got the base plate attached to the head wrong. But it really shouldn't matter. Leave the gland a bit loose, get the dimples engaged in the slot, then turn the head and stator tube until the turn switch is where you want it. It's a lot easier to judge the position of the slot that way, anyway.

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Randall. It will be a lot easier to orient the stator tube to the dimples than change the base plate attachment. It's always easier to blame a PO but this car has so many things I'm finding wrong there's nothing else to do. The next thing is to remove the stator tube because it must have been built by the PO and the slot is only about 1/32 inch. I can barely see there is a slot. In fact, I busted a control head removing it because it had been jammed on. The one I'm using is one I've had for years, again from a PO.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sounds like you've got the base plate attached to the head wrong. But it really shouldn't matter. Leave the gland a bit loose, get the dimples engaged in the slot, then turn the head and stator tube until the turn switch is where you want it. It's a lot easier to judge the position of the slot that way, anyway.

I'm having a similar issue. How wide is the stator tube slot supposed to be?

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have an old one and it measures 1/8 inch. Don't have the length because the one I have is for the adjustable steering wheel.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The one I measured the other day was a little less than 3/32" (.085"). Length depends on whether you have an adjustable or fixed wheel. The one I measured is for a fixed wheel, slot is about 1-3/4" long.

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have good news and bad news. I removed the stator tube and it appears when the control head was forced on it squeezed the tube thus showing the 1/32 slot With the tube removed, I agree with Randall, it seemed to measure 3/32 X 1 3/4 inches. I was able to open it to 3/32 all the way. That's the good news. The bad, looking at the end of the slot, it has started to crack with about an eighth inch crack on each side. So now the question is should I just use it and hope for the best or replace it while it's out??