• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Don't DWELL on this, but

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
covid-test-png.1678769

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Yep, these young hotrodders want FI and electronics. Seems they don't understand that when they break down parts are not easy to get to. Whereas, these old school parts are easy to adjust and/or replace on the road. I once had a breakdown in Dad's Mercury on the way to Terre Haute from St.Louis, fixed withnscrewdriver and a matchbook cover.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I guess I'm in the high risk group but I'm still under 40, so not in the high risk group for a few more months at least:D

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I guess I'm in the high risk group but I'm still under 40, so not in the high risk group for a few more months at least:D

:lol: Your time's comin' pal. :wink:

Been many a time where something malfunctioned in one or another of our cars, usually it was rectified right where it failed and off we went. Set of hand-tools and a few spare bits in th' boot.

Difficult to haul around FI and electronic iggy parts on-board, both practically and economically. Easy enuff to keep a spare set of points-n-condenser and generator brushes in the glovebox. My road trip box even included rebuild kits for the brake and clutch hydraulics. Never had to do any hydraulic work on a mid-journey fail, though. I'll put that down to good luck and regular maintenance.

D

Deleted member 8987

Air cooled VW...later.....Lord knows I've seen enough of those.
More precise:

[h=1]Bosch VW Ignition Points:
Beetle, Ghia, Thing 1968-79,
Bus 71-79,
Type 3 68-73,
Vanagon 80-83
[/h]
So if you're on "an age" to know about these... watch out for the PRC-Virus. If you've had close contact with old air cooled VW's, you're another step down the hole.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Still keep a set in the old dizzy (in the boot).

It's still amazing to think how well these work. I once felt one opening and closing (no actual voltage present) at high revs; felt like a small vibrator!

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a set in the boot for when someone else on the tour needs them. Usually just have to give them a rotor.

I do the same thing with regular parts such as points and coils, long length plug wires, etc... helped a lot of folks as well.as myself with redneck engineering

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

I was 40 not that long ago.......or was it 50?

D

Deleted member 8987

I was 40 not that long ago.......or was it 50?

I wanted to quit counting when I hit 21. But family insists on remembering every stinking year...and it's been 50 since 21.
NEXT year I get Holland Club status...50 years qualified Submarines. Maybe they'll buy me a Guiness?

D

Deleted member 8987

Maybe they'll want you to drink them again.

Last time I saw that done...Halifax, I think...shipmates found a mop bucket with mop in a bar closet. Pulled the mop clear. Added Rum, Vodka, some Canuck Swill Beer, more bottled stuff....dropped the fish in the bottom, the fellow shipmate drank them...caught the fish in his teeth.
"Doc", the on-board Corpsman, was present....and came to me, drunk, bad, arm around my shoulder (I was "Designated Driver) and told me I had to get the guy to puke. Doc said that much alcohol would kill him.

Could not convince him to puke. Had to promise to buy him a beer if he puked.

He did....I did.

The things you go through.

Like getting pitched over the side first port-o-call.

Ya know, I never did "The Tower". They'd had a fire in the control section in NLON (actually, now SubBase Groton) and it was red-tagged OOC.

I got out SEP74, they were going through service jackets, sending folks back to Groton to go through it if they hadn't. i was scheduled like OCT or NOV of 74. Look at all the fun I missed! Ho! Ho! Ho!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffOJEJwWSbs

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I never got to do "The Tower", either. The SUBASE Pearl one was also OOC.

All I recall of my drink was that it had a plum wine base.

D

Deleted member 8987

I think the new qual was a torpedoman striker, and you know how those torpedomen can be.

Egged on by Monkey Mates.....Machinist Mates. It was something to behold from a sober position. Probably made all the sense in the world from a highly inebriated position.

They musta had a half gallon in that bucket. Wonder what that is in litres?

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Canadian swill beer? Pardon me??? (said with a certain level of humour - we all have our 'informed' prejudices). And a real, Imperial, gallon equates to 4.54 litres. Doug

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I don't know if I have the capacitance for yet another post of puns.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag