• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Draftt seals

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Slowly getting straight and together amid self-isolation. We are fortunate to have very few Covid cases on this peninsula. On the mainland the "curve has been flattened" so we may get some relaxation in a week or two. I feel for the businesses that have suffered and thank the workers who have kept the health system running.
Anyway

I have been wrestling with the body (TS60014) that was disassembled 25 years ago, and most bits have found logical places, but the draft excluders, so-called, around the door have me a bit baffled. I must have bought them ages ago, and some will have to be replaced with something a bit classier ( Furflex, rather than plain rubber).
On the bottom of the door there are eleven (11) holes for clips but the parts lists seems to call for 14 each side. Should I drill another holeat the back? And should the rubber strip bend round the front end to the hole near the hinge? Photos are of the briber's (wow! that is driver's or LH) side but the other door is the same. That would make thirteen holes in all.

And what happens at the back of the door frame? It looks as though the void behind the striker plate should be filled with the rubber piece that matches the wheel compartment seal, but there is also a piece, same length, that matches the bottom seal.

HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 58

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
On the early doors, the seal does turn the corner at the front and have 2 more clips on the front of the door. There's also an extra hole at the (square) back edge, compared to your later door. I checked several places and none of them note changes for TS60001, but I wouldn't be surprised if that little detail got overlooked.

They also all seem to say the bottom seal wasn't introduced until TS 5251, and I don't believe that is correct either. The workshop manual talks about the upper seal being "additional water sealing" at TS5251, but that implies there was already some water sealing. But it also seems that the upper seal, and clips for both seals, were never added to the SPC.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah the whole draft seal wind- lace area gets kinda gray. TRF offers a kit for the vertical sides of the doors and it looks good. The early, early stuff was vinyl and later fur-flex; the change point is unclear. The rounded door cars/post60K all had fur-flex. I restored a 1961 once and was surprised how the bottom weather stripping fit; it seemed to leave a big draft at the rounded part of the door. I suggest getting the weather stripping at TRF because it fit nice. Maybe TRF can shed more light on the wind-lace idea. They said it has been unavailable for some time. I made my own draft seals out of pieces I got on line.