• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Hardtop Rear Mounting Brackets

tedwone

Country flag
I'm assisting an elderly friend restore his 1959 TR3A that he has owned for 55 years. I am in the process of restoring the hardtop but I discovered that he is missing the three middle "L" brackets that secure the rear of the top to the body. Both of the outside brackets are there. I noticed that in the Moss catalog, it shows that these are listed separately (NLA) and I assume that the middle brackets are of different lengths and/or different angles. If there is anyone out there that can provide me with the approximate lengths of the three middle brackets and the angles that they are bent, I can fabricate the brackets that are missing. Thanks in advance for any help that is out there.

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I hope this helps. The material is .125" thick. All three brackets are the same.

Attachments

• IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_5119.jpg
    IMG_5119.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5120.jpg
    IMG_5120.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5123.jpg
    IMG_5123.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5125.jpg
    IMG_5125.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 112
OP
T

tedwone

Country flag
Thanks for responding, but the brackets I need are the ones that are attached to the top itself. The two side brackets are about 1" wide and bent at about 45+ degrees with a length of about 2 3/4". I don't know if the other three brackets are the same length or bent to the same angle.20200425_055819.jpg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
There are 5 total and they are all 90 degrees like the one in the photo. The back 3 are a little smaller than the front left and right side. The front ones are key, maybe and 3/16 wider. They are all very simply made out of iron 90 stock. I have my top hung up in the attic now, but I think I have some extra brackets that I will look for and try photo. The thing is they do adjust up and down some and you will probably find putting a rubber washer under the bracket on to chrome piece helps stop the rattle and offers more adjustment because the top does not fit like a glove.

There was a nice installation kit for sale on evilbay, but I do not remember if it had good pictures or not, maybe google and see if someone showed the top brackets.

OP
T

tedwone

Country flag
Thanks very much for the information. I plan to make the three that are missing as it is quite simple to do. I just needed to confirm that the three missing brackets are exactly like the other two.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey, Ted, my top is in the rafters as well. The three back brackets under the window look smaller than the front brackets. I went to unscrew them to check but they are unmovable right now; hopefully my application of some PB Blaster will remedy the situation and I can measure tomorrow.

I am missing a front bracket. While you are fabricating some, I would gladly pay you to make an extra for me if you are so inclined.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My front bracket, for comparison.735F96DE-5AC4-46E5-B7F0-264790D14052.jpg

OP
T

tedwone

Country flag
Kevin, The two brackets I have are slightly different. One is identical to the one you showed for comparison. The other is about 3/4" on the threaded side of the bracket. I will be more than happy to make you the bracket you missing at no cost. One more bracket isn't going to spoil my day. Just let me know which size you will need. Also I noticed that your bracket is slotted. Neither of the brackets I have are slotted. However, I was told that fitting the original tops in England was basically a custom fit from car to car.

Ted

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks, Ted! Hopefully I can take some pics and measurements tomorrow on my 3 back brackets. I think the PO elongated the hole into a slot. The back brackets look similar.

I will get back to you.7F6B3E12-6E79-4F56-ABD7-08CB18C43871.jpegECE8B3A0-7FC3-4D16-8C18-A31E26C721BB.jpeg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes the slot is there to let the bracket slid down. The slot on the bottom is probably a good idea. Set the front seal first because that is where you are going to get the rain and wind plus that is the windshield curve. The top will bend and move as you tighten the 5 brackets down and that is why the 2 by the door are so important, so the door will close. I found out the hard way the side-curtains sit about an inch lower with a hard top; had to refit the curtains to the hardtop. The hole for side curtains on my top was nice--- but-- a tight fit and with the overhang of the channels of the top made a up good seal.

PeterK

Yoda
My front bracket, for comparison.View attachment 63332
Mine are thick metal like yours and slide snugly into the top. When I made new, I bent a longer piece of stock in my vise to get the correct radius. Cutting angle iron was too sharp a bend. I purchased new screws with the large head and short threaded section from one of the big 3, probably Moss. IIRC they are threaded 10-28 but don't quote me on that, it's been a while. Need slots for adjustment.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Try as I might, I am unable to unscrew and measure the 3 back brackets, due to the difficult placement of my top in the rafters.

Those screws are really in there tight. A ruler place up there shows 1 3/8 length on the horizontal plane with the slotted hole.

HTH!

OP
T

tedwone

Country flag
20200426_125637_resized_1.jpg20200426_125703_resized_1.jpg
The part that attaches to the body is about 1 3/8", but as you can see, the distance where they attach to the top is different. Obviously one goes to the side mounts on the top and the other goes to one of the middle mounting points on the top, I just don't know which is which.

Attachments

• 20200426_125637_resized(1).jpg
    20200426_125637_resized(1).jpg
    58 KB · Views: 81

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ted, I think the most the center brackets can be is 3/4 inch. I can slightly rock mine around the center axis of the screw.

CF86CABF-8868-4609-BDC3-74162B4E19D5.jpeg677C240F-58F7-42F6-A043-F1C31D97E936.jpeg

OP
T

tedwone

Country flag
Great Kevin! Now I know which brackets go where and I can proceed with getting the raw material this week to fabricate what I need. I will make an additional outside bracket for you in addition to the ones I am making for my old friend. Thanks again for all of your help. I will let you know when I have the brackets completed.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ted, my thanks!