• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

If Something Bad Happens in the South

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
.....you can almost bet it's at a Walmart,Waffle House,or trailer park.

So,the worst place to live would be in a trailer park,right next to a Walmart &
Waffle House.

I just checked - there's at least five roads named "Trailer Park Road" in the South.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - here in New England we have hundreds of towns with a "Bone Mill Road" or "Hops Yard Road".

They all date back to the 18th century - no trailers then!
Tom M.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Driving back from FL to CT some years ago, we stopped at a Waffle House for lunch. There were a couple of disreputable-looking characters slouched in their chairs and the place reeked with cigarette smoke. We walked out and haven't been back since.

D

Deleted member 8987

Swamps. Bayous. Intercoastal waterways. Bad things happen with Alligators all the time! Depends on how far south of the M-D line y'all are.

Hurricanes! Poe-leece chases on I-95! Regional Airliners and thunderstorms!

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
..... So,the worst place to live would be in a trailer park,right next to a Walmart &
Waffle House.

Shouldn't be too hard to find. :cool:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Doug - here in New England we have hundreds of towns with a "Bone Mill Road" or "Hops Yard Road".

And Concord Rd. I think everything in New England must lead to Concord.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Leave Waffle House alone.

Agreed!

Best breakfasts I had on my cross country drive were Waffle House and Cracker Barrel. And when I'd order ham, I learned why the waitress would always ask "You want sweet or salty, hon?"

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I remember one time my dad brought home a smoked ham, from West Virginia I think. It actually was a slice of a salt block that had been colored red! Saltiest piece of meat I ever tasted (and I like anchovy)

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Good country ham is salt cured of course and quite salty. It is also very dry so bad stuff can't live in it. Cut slices pretty thin and soak in water a while before cooking. This removes some of the salt and rehydrates the meat some. Excellent stuff when done right.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Good country ham is salt cured of course and quite salty. It is also very dry so bad stuff can't live in it. Cut slices pretty thin and soak in water a while before cooking. This removes some of the salt and rehydrates the meat some. Excellent stuff when done right.

Shows how much we've forgotten over the years. Thanks for explaining.

Back in the olden days, before we had electricity and chemical preservatives, you preserved meat by soaking in brine (water, salt, molasses, saltpeter) for several days. That keeps bacteria from growing, and preserves the meat for weeks, maybe even a month or two. Chunks of salt would permeate the meat, leading to the term "corned beef" - as the chunks of salt looked like grain. The old word for grain is ... "corn"!

If you wanted it to last a year or two,you took the salted meat, hung it in the smokehouse, built a small fire underneath, and slowly added wood chips to make a dense smoke. The smoke put creosote over the salted meat pieces, making an air tight "baggy". Ready to eat? Then peel off all the creosote, soak in water overnight, then you're ready to cook it.

Sturbridge visitors are always amazed at the process, and then realize country smoked ham should have the salt soaked out before eating.

"And now you know ... the rest of the story."

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I learned from the best. My dear step mom was a southern lady from Louisiana and even though living most of the years in Oklahoma, Dad managed to mail order a real ham from somewhere every year or two. I think most came from eastern Tennessee.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I learned from the best. My dear step mom was a southern lady from Louisiana and even though living most of the years in Oklahoma, Dad managed to mail order a real ham from somewhere every year or two. I think most came from eastern Tennessee.

Good stuff, and right down the road from me: https://shop.bentonscountryham.com/

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
My suspicion is that my mom, born in rural TN in 1901, probably knew how to cook it. My other suspicion is my dad problbly just told her he had picked up a ham steak on his last business trip to southern IL.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Shows how much we've forgotten over the years. Thanks for explaining.

Back in the olden days, before we had electricity and chemical preservatives, you preserved meat by soaking in brine (water, salt, molasses, saltpeter) for several days. That keeps bacteria from growing, and preserves the meat for weeks, maybe even a month or two. Chunks of salt would permeate the meat, leading to the term "corned beef" - as the chunks of salt looked like grain. The old word for grain is ... "corn"!

If you wanted it to last a year or two,you took the salted meat, hung it in the smokehouse, built a small fire underneath, and slowly added wood chips to make a dense smoke. The smoke put creosote over the salted meat pieces, making an air tight "baggy". Ready to eat? Then peel off all the creosote, soak in water overnight, then you're ready to cook it.

Sturbridge visitors are always amazed at the process, and then realize country smoked ham should have the salt soaked out before eating.

"And now you know ... the rest of the story."
For those for whom that's too much work, there's always Spam.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
For those for whom that's too much work, there's always Spam.

spam-monty-python-sketch.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
1. Cracker Barrels are good. We always stopped there driving to and from CT to FL.
2.Definition of eternity - Two Virginia men and a country ham.