• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member!!!

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
Hi All, In 1993 I towed this 1973 Triumph TR6 home. It sadly sat rusting away until 2010 when I retired and decided to restore it with my limited skill and knowledge of British cars. Today all body work has been completed, a new coat of paint, and new soft top; interior needs lot of work. My goal now is to work on getting the engine to run smoothly. It is, however, road worthy. I will be reaching out for your assistance with your years of experience and knowledge. Regards, WJKB-TR6

Attachments

• Kaena Point_04-15-2020.jpg
    Kaena Point_04-15-2020.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 115

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi WJKB-TR6 and welcome to the British Car Forum. You will find plenty of friendly help with your TR6 whenever you need it. Post your questions in the "Triumph" section of the forum anytime you need help.
Your car looks great.... I also have a '73 TR6. I noticed that you have the bumper overriders; I didn't think they were introduced until 1974?

OP
WJKB-TR6

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
Hi Gliderman8, Thanks for the Welcome note. I will be adding Posts in the "Triumph" section (appreciate this!) once I get the hang of how things work here. Yes, mine do have the bumpers and it was manufactured late May 1973. I am not certain, but think it was manufactured with the bumpers so they could be sold in US starting Year January 1974????? Need to check history on that. I surely have questions on how to make my engine purr like a kitten.

I have a question (If inappropriate at this time, please let me know.). I have difficulty starting in the mornings to the point of wearing down my battery. If I prime both CD175 Strombergs with a squirt of gas, it will start up right away with half choke on. I just installed a new fuel pump. Any ideas? Thanks again! WJKB-TR6

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Try posting the question in the Triumph section as you will get a greater response.
There could be multiple issues to check:
Fuel flow... clogged lines, crud in gas tank, clogged fuel filter.
Floats may be sticking, carbs may need rebuilding, diaphragms could have deteriorated.
These are just my initial best guesses.
Head over to the Triumph section for additional answers.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had them on my 73 GT6.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello WJKB-TR6

Welcome to the forum.

Great looking TR6 and I love the background in your photo.

The Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and help for your TR6 questions.

The pub is an area where almost anything comes up for discussion.

David

OP
WJKB-TR6

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
Try posting the question in the Triumph section as you will get a greater response.
There could be multiple issues to check:
Fuel flow... clogged lines, crud in gas tank, clogged fuel filter.
Floats may be sticking, carbs may need rebuilding, diaphragms could have deteriorated.
These are just my initial best guesses.
Head over to the Triumph section for additional answers.

Thanks for the information. I will followup on all.

OP
WJKB-TR6

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
Hello WJKB-TR6

Welcome to the forum.

Great looking TR6 and I love the background in your photo.

The Triumph section is very active so you are sure to get plenty of tips and help for your TR6 questions.

The pub is an area where almost anything comes up for discussion.

David

Thank you for the Welcome! Am finding my way into this web site and appreciate your help.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome! What's with the WJKB in your user name?
Are you from Detroit?

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'd start off checking the float level in both carbs. They are set up such that fuel rises almost to the top of the jet at static conditions.
That makes it easy to pull fuel into the engine.
If set low, you need a whole lot of vacuum, just to lift the fuel.
You get the full vacuum applied to that jet when running. Not so much at cold start.

OP
WJKB-TR6

WJKB-TR6

Freshman Member
I'd start off checking the float level in both carbs. They are set up such that fuel rises almost to the top of the jet at static conditions.
That makes it easy to pull fuel into the engine.
If set low, you need a whole lot of vacuum, just to lift the fuel.
You get the full vacuum applied to that jet when running. Not so much at cold start.

Thanks, I will add this to my list. I am considering having the rebuilt, any recommendations? Will TR6-75 work on a TR6-73 without modifications?

john flannery

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'd stay with the original carbs. All I associate with the newer carbs is increased complexity, decreased emissions and decreased engine output.

Rebuilding is easy. Just take the tops off the carbs and replace the rubber diaphragms.

The 4 screws that you remove on top of each carb appear to be Phillips but are actually Pozidrive. Do yourself a favor and get a set of Pozidrive bits before you strip your screw heads.

Resetting the float requires removing the carbs and flipping them over. Remove the phillips screws, measure the floats and bend a small piece of brass with needle nose to adjust.

I've only had to adjust the floats one set of carbs. They don't go "out of adjustment" on their own. I assume because a previous owner, over the past 40 years, got inside and played with things. That car was hard to start until I did.

This is the guy I buy most of my parts from. You need two of the first part ZEMS577A

http://trf.zeni.net/TR6-TR250GB/index.php?menu=A&page=117