• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Steering Box Rocker Shaft Bushing Reaming

mastaphixa

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
To what size do I need to ream the new rocker shaft bushing that I am installing in my steering box to accommodate the new rocker shaft. I can't find that spec in the manual.
Steve Baker

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Got this from Macy's site although I think there is some question of the necessity of reaming. https://macysgarage.com/stg-box-1.htm
"New bushings MUST be reamed to fit the rocker shaft. We use an adjustable ⅞” reamer, and go slowly reaming in several steps. You want these loose enough to be able to move the rocker shaft back and forth by hand, but not so loose that you have any side to side movement. As little as .001” either way will make a huge difference, so don’t be in a big hurry to get this step done. Perhaps you should order 2-3 bushings, just in case you destroy the first one"
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
All the bushings I have bought from the big 3 have not needed reaming. If you do, it must be reamed to fit the shaft, so there is no spec.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have had the opposite experience with the bushings. I needed to ream everyone I have installed. The last one I did, I used different weight sand paper rolled in a tube. Before that, I used a small wheel cylinder brake hone. There was a local machinist who had all the cool tools, and he did one for me once. I put it in with other stuff I had going on because he wanted 75.00 an hour, but it was perfect. Like Tom said that last little bit is critical. With respect to the critical part, I would put it in tight and let it wear in because my reaming probably has high spots. Maybe a combination of my earlier experiences might work best, and use the brake hone last. Get one long enough, so you will get the best and even hone and not a tapper. But the superlative would be to find someone Jack the old machinist because of their tools and experience; it is a kinda one time deal, but back in day people did Kingpins and stuff.

steve

GeneW

Freshman Member
Gold
Country flag
I have had the same experience as Steve and Macy's in that the 4 bushings I have installed (3 from TRF and 1 from Moss) all required reaming.

I visited a cutting tool manufacturer in this area (ICS Cutting Tools) and he recommended a spiral reamer, 0.875 diameter, left hand spiral and right hand cut would work best for the bushing. He was not keen on adjustable reamers for someone who was not accustomed to using adjustable reamers (that would be me).

I did purchase said spiral reamer and all the bushings were reamed and the fit was very good to the shaft. I have been lucky in that the shaft areas have had no measurable wear. The shafts are usually tight to turn in the reamed bushing when dry but a few drops of oil on the bushing made everything good. Amazing what a little oil will do!