• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Prince Charles's Aston-Martin Runs on Wine

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That's actually pretty cool. Running on surplus *anything* is a plus; glad he's pushing the envelope there.

Henry Ford gave buyers the option to run the early Fords on home-brew ethanol. Wonder what he'd think today?

charles-car-z.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
ALL white wine should be considered surplus.

In these days of social distancing we are doing our level best to reduce the surplus. :smile:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, I've been running on wine for decades.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We went on a tour boat in Hawaii that ran it's diesels on used cooking oil. When we got off, I had a craving for french fries. I wonder if people crave chips when the Royal Train passes by.

I would think they would have to distill the wine to get a high enough alcohol concentration.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I am certain some distillation is necessary. You may run the Aston Martin on Everclear but not surplussed wine.
Wine and beer making in the UK is OK but home distillation even for motor fuel is not allowed. You would have several agencies calling on you not the least the Customs and Excise department looking for their road fuel tax. Charles may get away with it.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When they come up with an engine that runs on "used" wine and beer I'm ready for that :thirsty:

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am certain some distillation is necessary. You may run the Aston Martin on Everclear but not surplussed wine.
Wine and beer making in the UK is OK but home distillation even for motor fuel is not allowed. You would have several agencies calling on you not the least the Customs and Excise department looking for their road fuel tax. Charles may get away with it.

David

Sounds like you have some experience with the revnoeers. Run it on Everclear or, better yet, 'shine and it would be like running on nitromethane.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
No experience with the revnoeers but I know that the UK revnoeers have powers the police would love to have.
Evading fuel tax is a bad thing to get caught for in the UK. Running heating oil or off road diesel in a road vehicle was one thing they were looking for. Not sure how the cooking oil thing would work there on the roads.

David

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
So I did some number crunching on my own cars and the Miata BMEP=10.8 Bar which I guess isn't too bad for a twenty-four year old car; however, my fifty-two year old carbureted Cadillac produces a BMEP=11.4 Bar. Which I think is fairly impressive when comparing it to a 1000 hp FI engine that is cutting edge fifty-two years after the Cadillac hit the road.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
100,000 kilometers before you need an engine rebuild but if you have $3 million for the car the rebuild should be no problem.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
100,000 kilometers before you need an engine rebuild but if you have $3 million for the car the rebuild should be no problem.

David

It needs an engine rebuild in 100,000 km?!?!?!

Sounds like GM cars from the 1960s!