• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Ammeter Question

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Randall's comment in the thread about TR3 alternator conversion got me to thinking about something I always kind of wondered about.

My charging system on the TR250 seems to work fine, correct voltage, battery stays charged. However, the ammeter barely moves, when it does it moves in the right direction but probably no more than 1/8 of the travel on the gauge, even if it hasn't run for some time and the battery is low.

On my 4A it would swing back and forth wildly as load was applied or the engine revved, settling into a slightly charging position on long highway runs. I assumed it was the difference between a generator and control box on the TR4A, vs. the alternator (and control box, but different, on the '68 250 and 68 MGB too I think.)

Anyway, pretty far down on my list of concerns, but curious if you have a TR250 or early 6 with the ammeter (why isn't it an "ampmeter"?) Is mine doing what they normally do?

Thanks, Greg

Last edited:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
No particular expertise here but if the battery is fully charged, it won't move much. Try cranking the engine with the ignition disabled. You should see some significant movement.
Tom

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have the same with my TR3A converted to alternator and a 60 amp gauge. Very little movement but it does go in the correct direction when I have just started up or if I turn the head lights on with the motor off.
May be because of better control by the alternator regulator and output from the alternator.

David

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The modern electronic regulators in today's alternators are way better at balancing electrical demand than the crude electromechanical regulators of the 1960s. They work so well that, under normal conditions, you rarely see a net charge or discharge from the battery. Maybe if the battery is nearly flat (like, from keeping the headlights on for a long time without the engine running) you might see a larger initial charge current, but usually you won't see much on the ammeter.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
So I could probable have stuck with my original 30 amp gauge.

I did the 60 amp gauge and 8 gauge wire to the battery. Overkill?

David