• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Speedometer Not Working

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I disconnected the Speedo cable from the back of the speedometer and can feel that nothing is turning. The cable is not broken. Is the problem more likely the speedometer or the angle drive? I have a 4A with O/D. (Not looking forward to getting under the car again real soon—it’s been a way of life lately)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If the cable doesn't turn when the car moves, then it has to be the cable or the drive to it. The angle drive seems to be the most common failure (and also the most expensive).

If it is the angle drive, I recommend also checking how easily the speedo mechanism turns. I've seen them where the head just seems a bit tight when it's cold, but it heats up and binds hard if you drive for any length of time. The angle drive is the weakest link ...

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If the cable doesn't turn when the car moves, then it has to be the cable or the drive to it. The angle drive seems to be the most common failure (and also the most expensive).

If it is the angle drive, I recommend also checking how easily the speedo mechanism turns. I've seen them where the head just seems a bit tight when it's cold, but it heats up and binds hard if you drive for any length of time. The angle drive is the weakest link ...

Yeah, that's a real possibility. My Bugeye Sprite had a gear-reduction unit for the tach, and it broke a second time before I realized what was happening. The tach's mechanism was really stiff. Cleaning and relubrication fixed it. Replacing its innards with electronics fixed it even better.

OP
KVH

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I’m trying to remember—does the angle drive slide out easily or is it driven in tight? Or am I confusing the drive with the internal bearing for the gear?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Should be a collar that screws on, just like the end of a speedo cable.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
1 MGB Speedometer and tachometer on '66 MGB are not working MG 8
77_MG_Midget My speedometer isn't working... :[ Spridgets 1
M TR2/3/3A HVDA Speedometer Drive Triumph 10
GeorgetheTR3 TR2/3/3A Speedometer Triumph 4
jfarris For Sale TR3 Speedometer SOLD Triumph Classifieds 3
roscoe GPS Speedometer Austin Healey 6
J 1985 TVR 280i Speedometer Cable TVR 4
F TR4/4A Speedometer cable replacement access Triumph 0
DocDup1 MGB SpeedBox Speedometer Drive MG 0
R TR2/3/3A Speedometer Reset Triumph 26
BritBite Speedometer Right Angle Drive Austin Healey 5
roscoe GPS Speedometer Austin Healey 10
PAUL161 T-Series TD/TF speedometer gears. MG 3
AUSMHLY Speedometer Fluctuation Austin Healey 21
Magyar Rebuild Speedometer & Tachometer - mechanical or electronic? Spridgets 17
M TR6 Speedometer Triumph 2
S For Sale Early Sprite & Midget Speedometer/Tachometer/Generator etc. Spridgets Classified 2
P TR6 Jumpy Speedometer cable Triumph 4
PAUL161 T-Series Interesting Speedometer Scenario MG 5
John Turney Getting Speedometer out of the Case Austin Healey 6
K TR2/3/3A Speedometer needle bounce? Triumph 1
P Speedometer confusion Spridgets 1
J TR2/3/3A Speedometer Bounce with Odometer Gear Movement - Benchtop Calibration Triumph 3
RJS TR4/4A Speedometer and Angle Drive Triumph 6
T Speedometer Repair Problem Austin Healey 5
J TR2/3/3A Speedometer Works Removal Triumph 10
R TR2/3/3A Speedometer Routing Triumph 15
AUSMHLY 1962 3000 Mk II BT7 speedometer Austin Healey 2
K TR2/3/3A Speedometer Error Again Triumph 8
G Spitfire gps speedometer Triumph 6
J Speedometer Tach Correlation 1965 Austin Healey BJ8 Austin Healey 3
B For Sale MGA JAeger Fuel Gauge, Dual Safety Gauge, Speedometer and Tachometer MG Classifieds 0
B For Sale Austin Healey 100 Smiths Fuel Gauge, Dual Safety Gauge, Speedometer and Tachometer Austin Healey Classifieds 0
B For Sale Triumph Tr3 Fuel gauge Temp gauge Oil pressure gauge, speedometer tachometer Triumph Classifieds 0
S Speedometer Angle Drive Austin Healey 2
T Wanted WTB 100 / 4 Speedometer Austin Healey Classifieds 0
B Differences between BN2 and BN4 speedometer gears?? Austin Healey 7
F How does overdrive Annulus effect speedometer Austin Healey 10
M TR4/4A Speedometer Cable Routing Triumph 7
2 TR2/3/3A Can't get zero on speedometer 60K tr3A Triumph 6
B Speedometer Cable Routing Austin Healey 9
UmmYeahOk GT6 What do I need for a speedometer fix? Triumph 16
Michael Oritt Speedometer drive issue Austin Healey 4
R TR4/4A Speedometer off 10mph Triumph 6
R BN7 Speedometer issues Austin Healey 1
K TR2/3/3A Dismantling Speedometer...getting the odometer pin past the case??? Triumph 2
2 TR2/3/3A Non OD speedometer cable routing diagram/pictures. Triumph 7
T TR2/3/3A Instructions for cleaning & re-lubricating speedometer? Triumph 5
N Wanted Speedometer or dial Km/h for BT7 Mk II - buy or trade for MPH Austin Healey Classifieds 0
K Speedometer Drive Gear Issue w/ Smitty/Delaney Tx Conversion Austin Healey 16