• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Ring Gear Roulette

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The MG has apparently worn the ring gear to a dead spot. If I don't catch the start-up on the first spin, it becomes a contest to light it off. I've a "spare" flywheel with a good gear but no place to do the task of pulling the engine/trans at the moment. Garage is full of "stuff". No longer have a shop to use. I'm takin' this as a "sign" I should be using this COVID confinement as the ideal time to clear the decades worth of stuff not related to cars outta here.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Been there, done that doc. My ring gear moved about an inch from the shoulder of the flywheel. I was left with no choice but to pull the trans and flywheel and install a new ring gear. What a PITA for a $30 ring gear. With that said, I have not had any problems since installing the new one about 3.5 years ago. Get it done!

Ring gear moved away from shoulder
IMG_2087.jpg

New ring gear installed
IMG_2091.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think your neighbor owes you some "wrenching time"

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Clean that garage out, Doc. Feels good to do, and you earn back space without having to spend any money. Were it possible, I'd come down and give you a hand. I'm well practiced at ruthless cleaning. My wife is much the same, it's a wonder our house isn't empty. :D

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This'll take a "POD" rental, as my intent is to paint and rearrange the whole thing. There's plenty to purge, but there's much that I need to keep as well. Big stuff like three Snap-On roll cabs, band saw, drill press. Lots of that kind of stuff. MGB, Alfa and Lotus "spare" engines, heads... I get tired just contemplating it! :highly_amused:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Even with my big shop space, I'm trying very hard to be careful about what comes in. What comes in always tends to *stay* and even this big space can run out if I'm not careful.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You might want to consider using a pre-engaged starter out of a post 1968 MGB. I know that they can be fitted to the 5 main rear engine plate for 1965-1968 18GB cars but haven't personally checked to see if they match the 3 main rear plate but believe that they will. Just a happy coincidence that the spacing is correct. They slide inti the ring gear before twisting so no more crushed teeth.

Another cheap way around it is to remove the flywheel, turn one crank stud over and refit. The engines stop in only two positions so tat would present a 'fresh' set of teeth for the starter to use.

Here is a late starter fitted to my MGB Twin Cam race engine.

starter.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Bill! This is a five-main 'transplant' so that could forestall the need to pull it out. Surprised I'd never tried that, considering all the MGB's we've had through the shop.

Looking at that photo, I'm curious! I see part of the intake, looks like it's meant to mount a pair of DCOE Webers? And what does the distributor drive from? One of the cams, I surmise. Would like to see more!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Bill! This is a five-main 'transplant' so that could forestall the need to pull it out. Surprised I'd never tried that, considering all the MGB's we've had through the shop.

Looking at that photo, I'm curious! I see part of the intake, looks like it's meant to mount a pair of DCOE Webers? And what does the distributor drive from? One of the cams, I surmise. Would like to see more!

That is the side of my 1950 cc 5 main Twin Cam race engine (I created it back around 1980). Last pic is when I was developing it and put it in my TVR Grantura Mk 3 race car as it was easier to get at things.

mgatc.jpg MGA_engine_compt.jpg tvrtc.jpg

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's durn'd impressive! Were you able to source the head or did you have to fabricate the inlet runners? Extensive work done to be sure. Did you have to cast the front chain cover? I don't recognize it.

I've a spare flywheel with a good gear and a new ring gear to replace the bad one on hand. Just need a cleared out garage!

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bill said:
The head and front timing assembly comes right off a Twin Cam engine. The trick was mating it all together.

I can well imagine. Only ever laid hands on one MGA T/C, and that only for service; oil change and brakes. Been so many years ago I'll not recall details.

Very interested. Downloaded the .pdf, will peruse it.

Thanks!