• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How thing have changed.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
While going through a pile of junk we had dumped on us after my wife's x father in law passed away I came across this magazine. We also got several sets of china nobody wants but we should keep them in the family.

David
Magazine cover.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Wow - from the clothing styles, I'm guessing the guy is learning on a spinet, clavichord, or early "square" piano.

Come to think of it, when's the last time you subscribed to a printed magazine!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mitsy just yesterday began cleaning out a hall closet, "found" boxes full of various old magazines, seven "annual" Road & Track binders from the '70's, clothes not worn in decades... even discovered one of my USAF fatigue tops, replete with "mosquito wing" stripes. I didn't wear BDU's so never had the E-3 or E-4 stripes sewn onto 'em. I see a case of cabin fever settin' in, she spent most of the day on that project.

Most of the winter coats, old shoes and such will go into the bin. Less ballast in th' hovel. May regret it come hurricane season though. :wink:

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I do subscribe to several printed magazines but the $2. 00 a year is not a thing any more.

David

Wow - from the clothing styles, I'm guessing the guy is learning on a spinet, clavichord, or early "square" piano.

Come to think of it, when's the last time you subscribed to a printed magazine!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I still get a couple of magazine subscriptions.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I get Road & Track and Car and Driver still, though most of the focus seems to be on 700 hp American are and sioerexotics I will never own. I have to push myself to read them, and I am always behind. But the practically give them away, $6.99 a year or something. Probably cheaper than way back when when adjusted for inflation.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Decades ago I got Mitsy a "Lifetime Membership" for National Geographic. A friend subscribed me to "Air & Space" mag. Those are the only two publications coming here now. And we've an increasing disappointment/dislike for NatGeo. They've lost quality and objectivity.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
So it is not just me on the NatGeo. I have copies I have only flicked through because I did not anything worth my time reading.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Remember when LIFE magazine was delivered to the door? I still have a few copies of the early ones, plus some fashion ones and others from the early 1900s my grand parents subscribed to and some WWII news papers. I'm going to dig them out and go through them, haven't seen them in many years. PJ

Country flag
I still get Car and Driver, but it's a shadow of what it was when I was a teen and I'd read my dad's copies. But, the last resubscribe was $5 for the year, so I don't need to get much from 12 issues to get my money's worth. Which is kind of sad to say.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
New Yorker, Bon Appetit and Food and Wine. That's it for magazines.
Dropped my subscriptions to Golf Digest and Golf Magazine last year. Same recycled "tips", high-end golf courses I'll never play, columns on cigars, etc. I haven't subscribed or read an auto magazine in many years. Once in a l-o-n-g while, I'll buy a Hemmings at the newstand just to see what's for sale. Absolutely no interest in a 700 hp Dodge or a Porsche that would take my life savings to buy. I sold all my early Hot Rod magazines, including volume 1 number 1, and early Road & Tracks many years ago and threw out the rest when no one wanted them. Also Speed Age magazine. Anyone remember that?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hot Rod magazine... Did a photo shoot for a multi-edition article on welding back in '78 or '79, a dentist-turned-welder did the work and wrote the articles. The guy could run a bead cleaner than anyone I've ever met. You'd think the tubes were somehow formed together.

All lost to history now.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I wouldn't mind having a Dentist for a welder, but I sure wouldn't want a welder for a Dentist!! :highly_amused:

Hot Rod magazine... Did a photo shoot for a multi-edition article on welding back in '78 or '79, a dentist-turned-welder did the work and wrote the articles. The guy could run a bead cleaner than anyone I've ever met. You'd think the tubes were somehow formed together.

All lost to history now.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I used to read National Geographic cover to cover, but I haven't in the past couple of years. They still have some decent articles but increasingly they have an agenda.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I agree with all of the above on Natl Geo. I didn't renew 5 or 6 years ago when I sas the 'drift' starting. I see it in the dentist office and quickly go to Sports Illustrated.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Last week. Classic Motorsports. I’m trying to help them stay afloat.

Good for you. They are a good bunch down there. I did two of their tours in the last few years. Did the Orange Blossom Tour in Florida, with the C-5 and their Smoky Mountain Tour with the Healey. I also get Hot Rod, it's a tradition.