• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A door capping with buttons

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Having problems getting the clip thing into the rubber core?

I drilled a hole then a soldering iron to enlarge it as the rubber did not drill well. Seems to be holding. It was a PITN.

David

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
My problem is with getting the capping on after I upholstered it. I used some foam- backed material product, and it made the pieces too tight/large to fit the door top; too many folds of vinyl, material, and foam. I did a real nice job too. Last night I ripped one apart and I am going to start over. I have experienced in the past that the vinyl can pull out from the fold on the under the trim, so I wanted it hold, but too thick. This time I will leave off the fold on the edge that faces in the car and stop the foam there also and just have vinyl on the outside folded under. I am doing something different on the ends also, but not there yet.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Seem to recall I had to do some trimming of the vinyl covering. I think I feathered the ends to minimize the amount under the button. Do not know if I took photos or was too busy getting it done.

David

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I just completed my set but with leather. Sorry no pictures.
The first thing I noted was that I had to drill a hole in the foam roll to make room for the base of the chrome button.
When cutting the material to fit into the end I cut the material in what can be described as VVVVVVVVVV. Just be sure to not cut the material to deep. Leave enough material to not show any cut exposed above the chrome button.
I hope this helps and is not redundant.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I got a glimpse past the lunatic fringe after I started over with the door capping. i am happy with how the cockpit capping came out so far and I would like to thank David for his idea of burning a hole in the rubber. I used an old drill bit with some vise grips. As far as bring all those pieces of vinyl and ending them at the button and having the overall piece stay small enough to fit the door correctly took some trial and error. I basically pulled the vinyl over the end and down both sides gluing as I went in stages then gathered the vinyl at the center under the capping piece leaving a seam at the bottom so the seam would be hidden. Sounds easy.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes, your trim looks smooth and professional. I couldn't find these in time to help, but at least you can confirm your end-cap look. These are original leather door caps I took off a junkyard car in the late-80s (remember those?). P1110559.jpgP1110557.jpgP1110558.jpgP1110560.jpg