• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sump Plug

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Can anyone please tell me what size spanner fits the sump plug? I have a pretty good collection of spanners but can't find one to fit. The plug is pretty well chewed up already so don't want to put an adjustable on it and make it worse!
Thanks
AJ

OP
M

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks guys. I tried 1-1/8" - too small. 1-1/4" too big! I thought it might be some weird metric/BSF/Whitworth size and I don't have them that big.
I need to take a closer look. Maybe it's just a bit chewed up but it's hard on my 70 year old body crawling underneath to get close enough to see!
I'm afraid that if I get it off with an adjustable spanner I may chew it up up even more and won't be able to tighten it enough to stop it leaking when I put it back.

AJ

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I tried 1-1/8" - too small. 1-1/4" too big!

It will be possibly the one in the middle then :emmersed:

I am trying to find my new magnetic plug that I bought years ago, to go with the new sump that I had bought back in 2013, do you think that I can find it? !

:cheers:

Bob

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Guys - I bought an aluminum sump maybe 15 years ago. It does not use a stock plug. I had bought a magnetic plug that didn't fit - at time of purchase assumed the aly sump took the same plug. I took the magnet out and drilled/glued it into the new plug.

Here's the plug - 28mm wrench:

screenshot.2145.jpg

Here's a spanner from eBay UK; 28mm socket's about the same price:

screenshot.2146.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I did the same as you, Steve, and used my calipers to measure the hex. 28 mm was too small.

John - Sounds like the takeaway is everyone should measure their own and proceed accordingly.

Getting the right size wrench on eBay is often pretty cost-effective.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Having served my apprenticeship in the UK I do still own quite a few BS and Whitworth spanners , open ended and ring type .
The one I use for the sump plug says 5/8W / 11/16 BS on it . It is very slightly sloppy but the sump plug is a little worn as well .

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Guys,
Kinda on the same subject about sump plug. I cannot get rid of a minor leak - drips - from my sump plug. Believe I even changed it out with a new one from Moss but still will mark its territory. I do tighten it as much as I dare and have even tried putting on some teflon take taking care that none gets inside the sump. Still minor drip. Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Mike

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You might try annealing the copper washer, they 'work harden' after several uses and benefit from softening, or get a new one. Also, check for any burrs/mars on the sealing surface of the pan & plug that would prevent sealing.

Thread tape won't help because it isn't a tapered thread, the copper is what seals it.

Dave

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks guys ! I purchased a new one from Moss but size seemed too large. I kept my old one and will try heating up like Steve suggested !

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Two thoughts: would coating the plug with anti-seize compound fill the threads/etc. better than the teflon tape? And I stick a rare earth magnet on any and all ferrous drain plugs (diff, trans, engine), plus on the ends of all spin on oil filters, figuing that it might help collect debris. And they're relatively cheap so long as you remember not to lose them. Doug

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
AJ--

You said "I'm afraid that if I get it off with an adjustable spanner I may chew it up up even more and won't be able to tighten it enough to stop it leaking when I put it back."

Even if you have to use an adjustable or pipe wrench to remove it you can then grind down the flats so that 1-1/8" is a good tight fit.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks guys. I tried 1-1/8" - too small. 1-1/4" too big! ....
I'm afraid that if I get it off with an adjustable spanner I may chew it up up even more and won't be able to tighten it enough to stop it leaking when I put it back.

AJ

I've found that on eBay it's possible to cheaply buy an odd-sized spanner or individual socket so that one has the right tool for the job.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks guys ! I purchased a new one from Moss but size seemed too large. I kept my old one and will try heating up like Steve suggested !

I've had to make do with too-large ones. Sometimes you can put an o-ring in the center to help center the washer.