• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Love the little beasties!

AC-Ace

Freshman Member
Basil contacted me via a photography forum we both subscribe to. He had asked about a picture of a car I had posted, and invited me to join you all here.

I've paraphrased my original comments to Basil as a way of introduction, not realizing at the time, that with his forum and all, Basil was up to speed on Brit cars, I added a bit more information on the AC's than was probably necessary, like its relationship to the Cobra. I've been a member of the AC Owners club in the UK since 1966.

1st Response to Basil: The picture is one of our AC's, it is a 1956 AC Aceca Bristol. My wife and I have two AC's, hers is the AC Aceca. My AC is a 1957 AC Ace (a roadster). It looks like an AC (Shelby) Cobra. Actually, the Shelby Cobra looks like an AC Ace Roadster since the Cobra came out roughly 10 years after the Ace. Shelby bought the AC Ace roadster chassis/bodies from AC Cars England then put in a 260, then a 289, then a 427 Ford engine along with some chassis and drivetrain upgrades to handle the power, and called it the Cobra. I bought mine in 1965, she bought hers in 1966, before we were married, but we were going "steady" at the time. It was her first car. I also had a 1964 Corvette Roadster at the same time. I proposed to her in the Ace at the end of an SCCA road rally in 1967. How many people still have the car they proposed to their wife in after over 50 years of marriage. Thanks for the question, brings back great memories!

2nd Response to Basil: I went and registered with your British Car Forum, it took a bit as the timeout on the human identification was a bit quick, I had to fill out the form three times before I got it completed before the time out. I think I've got it now. Looking forward to joining the discussion. I listed the Brit cars I currently have (AC Ace, AC Aceca Bristol, MGB roadster, Mini Cooper S R56/2009). The ones I've had in the past 50-plus years and let get away are: '63 XKE roadster, '60 MGA (my first Brit car, traded it for the '64 Corvette, wish I'd kept the MGA and E-type now!) My new Mini Cooper S is painted the same as my original Mini Cooper 1275s (long gone) complete to the Brit Flag on the roof. Various triumphs, TR3, TR4, some prepared and used as race cars in the early '60s, '67 Rover 2000TC. Being in the USA, it probably seems strange I was so attracted to British cars, but having lived all my life (except for military duty) within 30 miles of the Watkins Glen Grand Prix race track, it's not so strange, as there were MANY British cars around, as well as many representatives from other brands and countries. Hard to believe but at one time there were 4 AC Ace's (one Bristol) and 5 AC Aceca's (two Bristols) in the area. That's how I ended up with one of each. Visited the AC Cars Works in Thames Ditton a few years before they tore it down and replaced it with housing. Fortunately I bought quite a few spares for my cars while I was there.

Looking forward to the discussions on this forum.

Paul
ACOC (AC Owners Club) #1392

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Never raced against an AC Ace but saw the tailpipe of several Ac Bristols in my TR3.Never could catch those guys. Good looking cars - like early Ferraris.

OP
A

AC-Ace

Freshman Member
There have been many rumors that AC used the 1948 Ferrari Barchetta as the base for the design of the AC Ace, but it really was John Tojeiro, who built a one-off Tojeiro Special that resembled the Barchetta. It appears this design was then used by Vin Davison to build his own Tojeiro Special version and Ernie Bailey of Buckland got Davison and AC together which resulted in the creation of the AC Ace. While the body has some resemblance to the Barchetta (as did many sports cars of the era), AC built its own suspension which, unlike the Ferrari, was completely independent. Records indicate that between 1953 and 1964 732 AC Aces were delivered with one of three different engine designs, all inline 6 cylinder, the AC companys 1991cc engine, the 1971cc Bristol engine and from 1961, a 2553cc Ruddspeed tuned Ford Zephyr engine of up to 170hp became available. Then Carrol Shelby got in the act with V8's! Had lots of fun in the old days with those 6's, mainly Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. While there were 732 AC Aces built, there were only 327 AC Acecas built (from 1954 thru 1963).

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello and welcome to the forum.

What an interesting history with British cars.

Post some photos of your cars please.

David

OP
A

AC-Ace

Freshman Member
Posting pictures will take a while, remember most of these cars were back when all my photography was on film, I don't have many digital photos, and what digital I do have are only within the last 15 years or so when I got a digital camera. So I have to search thru a lot of photos (50 years worth), then scan them to add here. But being locked up at home, this will give me something else to do. Just gonna take some time!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
0866AF35-7CA3-4F6E-B20D-0860ED677204.jpg

OP
A

AC-Ace

Freshman Member
Very Nice, can't see the badge clearly enough to read it but it does look like a Bristol emblem below what I think is the AC badge, correct?

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
There are two ACs in this picture. Both with D2 power. The front one is a very late car with berely 5k original miles.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Never drove an AC in any form but I did have custody of not one but two Arnolt Bristols two years apart while my cousin Alan was traveling. The first one - a British Racing green Deluxe - was some car. One of the best-handling sports cars I have ever driven. The second one was a stripped model that had raced at Sebring or wherever - pretty tired when he bought it. How I wish I had that green one today. Wonder who has it now?