• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stirling Moss

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
One of the greatest race drivers is gone at 90! RIP Mr. Moss :angel:
Actually, Sir Sterling Moss! Sorry about that.

Last edited:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Followed his racing career most of my life. Will be missed. :frown-new:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sad news.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sorry to hear that.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Very sorry to hear that, somewhere back in the not too distant past a local club about a day's drive away (I think it was in Minnesota, but could have been Wisconsin) had a dinner with him as guest speaker, they had extra tickets and I got word. It was dead of winter, not the greatest time for quick turn around road travel in the North, I don't usually regret past decisions, but I really wish I had gone. RIP Sir Stirling.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
It was stated that he was the greatest race driver that never won a world championship! Being the best, in racing, only gives one an edge, but no guarantees in any particular race. He was always a winner in my book! :encouragement:

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I just saw this post on the Racing History group online from E. Dean Butler,

"I will always remember most the time I saw Stirling, in his eighties, signing autographs for over two hours sitting in the hot sun at the Australian F1 GP, with wife Susie shading him with an umbrella. The temperature was well over 100 degrees F. I later commented to Stirling how wonderful that he was signing autographs for so long in that heat.

Stirling’s response was “Dean, the one thing I can be in life is Stirling Moss.”"

And a friend in my slotcar circles had an up close and personal with Stirling Moss as a teenager, and his website has a number of wonderful photos of then Mr. Moss, always the dignified gentleman:
https://www.henryharnish.com/high/index.htm

Truly a legend.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
One of the motor racing greats. The end of an era when drivers were divided into two types - those who got killed before they got good and those who got killed afterwards. One reason I quit motor racing after one summer. Another reason - no money.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
He's probably sitting up there with Nuvolari and Fangio having a glass of wine.

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
When I looked his bio up after the obit, I saw he had won a race in Portugal (?) in 1956 because the guy who won had been disqualified for a driving violation. Moss had witnessed the violation and went to the stewards to successfully persuade them they were wrong.

Bob

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Bob, I think what you may be talking about is Moss derailing a protest against Hawthorne for push starting his Ferrari on the track in 1958. Moss came to his countryman's defense, Hawthorne did not lose the 7 points from the race, and that ended up giving Hawthorne the driving championship over Moss at the end of the season. Sir Stirling Moss.